Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

shelf life of rubs

Options
safetyman
safetyman Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking through my pantry I ran across jars of rub from Angelo's in Ft. Worth, Texas. I bought a couple cases of it many years ago and was wondering how long the stuff lasts or does it ever go bad. Some of it has been opened.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    if its lost some flavor you can always spike it up by adding some fresher ingrediants like cayenne etc. i usually use the the older stuff up on pork loins were im going to put the rub on heavily and then char it at higher heats.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    All spices lose flavor, aroma and color over time. Some much faster than others. Sometimes spices will retain some flavor notes and lose others. "Many years" is too long to keep even whole spices, let alone pre-ground spices. I seriously doubt it will taste anything like it did when it was new. Have you tasted it?

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ