Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium BGE Capacity?

Options
SF BGE
SF BGE Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Unfortunately I only have a medium BGE, but need to cook two briskets for a party this weekend. I'm curious if anyone knows if I'll be able to fit two 5-6 lbs. "flat" briskets on my BGE. I don't have an extender, but may need to get one if things are going to be tight. Appreciate any input or creative suggestions.

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I don't consider myself -- in any way -- to be a brisket expert. Have only done a few... and much prefer simpler [and shorter!] cooks.

I have cooked 14 lb/ave packers on my Medium. Never tried two smaller flats.

As for an extender. Go to any big box store [Home Depot, other] and get a circular grid [Weber, whatever] that fits the dome of the Egg.

Using long 1/4" stove bolts, a few washers and some nuts, make an extender any height you want. Fasten it to the lower grid with nuts and washers...

Be sure to rotate your briskets, as they will cook unevenly [which is true of any bi-level cook]. Be sure you have room for air flow...

Good luck!

~ Broc

;)B):)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I doubt you could fit both flats on a Medium without putting in another layer of grate. With packers, you can drape them over a V rack to get them to fit, and after a few hours they shrink enough that they can lay flat. I don't think putting flats in at a slant would be the best thing.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning SF BGE:

I did two 8lb flats on my medium a few years ago. Here is a LINK TO THE COOK.

Hope this helps.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL