Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How cool the egg before covering

Options
emilluca
emilluca Posts: 673
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a LBGE and a mini on the factory table. I do have the BGE cover. I have been waiting until morning to re-cover the setup after a dinner cook the night before. I check the mini, the one I use for most cooks for the wife and I, before bed around 10 PM and it is still at 225 and very warm to the touch. I am afraid to cover for one thing will it damage the cover itself or will it cause moisture to for, on the egg.
What is everyone else doing?

Comments

• Chef in the Making
    Options
    I have had my eggs going on eight months now and have not covered them. We live near the Ocean on a canal and have not seen any corrion on the metal parts. This could be because we frequently use the Eggs
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Might depend on the cover, but I have a BGE vented cover and I put it on when the temp is somewhere in the 200's. 225 is fine.
    I used to wait until it was cool enough to leave my hand on, now I just make sure it's not too hot.

That said, the BGE is fine exposed to the elements, it's the table and the stuff I store on the table I don't want to leave out in the weather if I can help it.
  • I wait until my LBGE is down to 200° before covering with the non-vented cover. If beddy-bye time arrives before the temp has lowered enough I just leave it uncovered, and that doesen't hurt a thing. The only real reason I cover it is because of a large spreading tree above my cooking area (birds).
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    I do the same. I am not worried so much about the egg as the table and Stuff. Boy we sure can get cought up in Egg stuff.
    E
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I put my covers on once the egg gets below 300. No problems so far.