Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Chips vs Wood Chunks

Sweetrexwood
Sweetrexwood Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am now a proud owner of an XL and am going to do my first low & slow on pork butts today.

In my research I see many references to sprialing wood chips from the center out but no mention of using chunks. In my current smoker I soak my chunks and throw them on for a slow and low smoke. There is no mention of soaking the chips on the forum, but maybe that is because it is a given.

I was thinking of starting my Egg with the 9 o'clock 12 O'clock 3 O'clock lighting method or should it be in the middle?

I could use some input. Thanks.

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    how far did you fill the egg with lump?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • I have not prepared my Egg for the cook yet. What is your suggestion?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Chunks are fine, but no need to soak them. Just mix them in among the lump.

Do not light in the middle. Either light it in 2-3 spots, or light it in one spot neat the 12:00 position. Lighting in the middle may lead to a center burn where the lump burns straight down and you could lose the fire.

Good luck.
  • bubba tim
    Fill the lump to the top on the fir box, light in the 10, 2, and 6 postions. When you are 50 degree from your target pit temp start shutting donw the vents and make adjustments. For long overnight cooks, look into a pit minder like a Digi II. Look at nakedwhiz.com for more info.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • I prefer chunks to chips but am too lazy to find or make my own chunks. But whichever I use, I don't soak 'em. The moisture just produces steam and unless you have the egg running wide open, they will not flame.

I light my large in one place. Halfway between the center and the back. If I am in a hurry, I do what you do but at 12, 4 and 8. The XL probably warrants a fourth light.
    Paul
  • bubba tim
    use the spiral chip method, you may want to stop the smoke after 4 hours. Meat can get bitter with too much smoke.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I use chips for short time smokin, chunks for extended smokin and no soaking. Not enough oxygen for flair up and at low-n-slow temps (250 dome) soaked chunks could hinder the small fire.
    I start my fire with a charcoal chimney and spread the hot lump across the top then adjust the intake and vent according to the type of cook I'm gonna do. Everyone finds what works for them eventually. We have one guy that uses a flame-thrower,...I won't mention his name, but it rhymes with 'fearlessman'. :whistle: