Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket/Rib Finishing Advice

Options
rabeb25
rabeb25 Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I have a big party here tomorrow. I started my 10.5 brisket flat at about 4:30 this afternoon(my last briskets took about 2hr/lb). I tried to time it so the flat would be done around noon and then throw the ribs on to hopefully finish at about 6:30.

How would you guys coordinate the both of them being ready to go at 6:30 (well not really worried about the ribs being done)? My concern is the 7ish hour rest on the brisket. I was thinking of foiling it, and packing it in a cooler with beef broth, then putting it on the grill to heat it back up (the oven will be occupied)..
I am kinda stumped actually.

How would you do it?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    There was a post a while back where someone kept some meat warm for 6 hours. I have kept a butt, pre cook weight of 9#, hot for 4.5 hours.

I foil the meat, no broth – any liquid will make the bark go soft – always keeping the foil opening up, wrap the meat in the blanket. I went to walmart and picked up 2 yards of blanket material. I just left the wrapped meat on the counter, but putting it in a cooler would probably keep it warmer longer. Fill as much of the empty space in the cooler as you can. Use towels or even news paper. You want as much air out of the cooler as possible. It wouldn’t even hurt to heat up something solid, like bricks, rice something that will retain heat.

If you use broth (or anything) make sure it is hotter than your meat or the heat in the meat will transfer to the liquid. That transfer will cool the meat.

GG
  • Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    Options
    Usually your ribs will take around four to five hours depending on how you cook them. You can slow cook for three hours and then foil them for one hour. The brisket once it is done double wrap in foil, then wrap with a large towel and place in a preheated cooler. You can keep the brisket hot for four to five hours this way.

js