Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

indirect cooking

sirlancealot
sirlancealot Posts: 506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone ever cook indirect without a plate setter?by moving the meat to one side and lump on the other. if so how does it differ from using the plate setter?

Comments

• The platesetter acts as a defuser and a shelf for the drip pan. The Eggs dome shape is its claim to fame, it cooks by convection the heat circulates, thats why it works well in so many aplications. I don't think putting fire in half the fire box would have any effect. Note the fire box is an inverted dome to inhance the heat flow.
    FireWalker
  • BBQ BELT
    BBQ BELT Posts: 11
    That's the only way I cook because I do not have a plate setter yet. I just use a water pan with the grid extender over it. It works great and I make sure to use low temps., it's low and slow anyway. I have not did this with higher temps.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    A Primo Oval uses that method. It even has a fire box divider.
    It wouldn't work at all in a BGE. (Well, maybe in an XL with a very small fire.) For indirect cooking in a BGE you must have some type of barrier. You can use a plate setter, pizza stone, water pan, fire brick, or man hole cover, but something has to be there.
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Michael B wrote:
    or man hole cover,

This is my personal favorite method. Leaves the coolest grill marks on the food!

:)