Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt

Options
CCB299
CCB299 Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked my first butt yesterday. Kept the dome at appr. 275 for 9.5 hours (wanted it a bit hotter as I got a late start) and it turned out very nice.

Question though... The outside/bark was black. While this is mighty tasty, is it normal?

My camera's batteries were dead else I would post pics.

Thanks!

Comments

• CCB299
    Options
    Forgot to ask:

I barely had the pinwheel or bottom vent open when cooking and the temp still stayed at 275. When cooking ribs I do my best to keep the temp at 225-250, but can never keep it that low.

I do not use a Digi or anything else.

Thanks!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yes, a butt should look just about like a cinder. The "bark" is the heart of the flavor. When the pork is pulled, try to mix it up really well so that bits of the bark are everywhere.

I'm often astonished at how small an opening will keep the dome going at 250. Sometimes both the top and bottom vents are just hairline cracks. Sometimes I find the temperature settling in 10 - 15 degrees higher. Usually this means the meat will cook a bit faster with no reduction in quality. A trick that works sometimes is to open the dome very briefly a few times over ten minutes to dump warm air. Often, the dome temp will drop to 250, and stay there for several hours.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Depending on the type and amount of wood you use for smoke and the amount of sugar and/or paprika in your rubs, deep reddish brown to black is very normal.

That is the yummy stuff.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'm finding that if I use a DP rub, it comes out pretty black, but quite delicious:

DSC00099.jpg

If I use John Henry's Pecan Rub, it's a lot more golden-brown:

DSC01122.jpg
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    My low & slow pork roasts also manifest a very dark (butt tasty) bark. Reasons for the depth of color could include: type of rub, how much sugar it contains, how much you apply, and your cooking temp. I've had great results with 'Lysander's Meat Rub For Pork' and just purchased John Henry's Pecan Rub which I'm yearnin' to test. The claim is that it will enhance any brisket, chicken, fish, ribs or veggie dish. Hopefully, others will chime in with their comments.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    OK... Care to clue us in on you acronyms or whatever they are... 8 - )
  • Fidel
    Options
    Only someone who is OCD would appreciate that tagline -- like me.

OCD = obsessive compulsive disorder
    CDO = OCD in alphabetical order, because that is what OCD people do - organize everything.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Number One Son read that to me from a Facebook "bumper sticker." I thought it was hilarious.
  • CCB299
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I was using Bad Byrons (which is fantastic).

I was just watching a cookoff and the cook said that when pulling the pork, the seasoning will be pulled through the rest of the meat, enhancing flavor.

I did end up just breaking the bark apart, after sampling several pieces of course.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I think maybe one has to have a twinge of OCD to get the joke. I laugh to myself almost every time I read it. At least I realize I am OCD.....
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    I never seem to have much of the bark to mix in after pulling the pork. It seems everyone sneaks over and steals the bark.

eenie meenie