Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Enchildas

Options
Gunnar
Gunnar Posts: 2,307
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks ChefBrian for your recent post.
Much more distinct than cooking only in the kitchen.
CE001.jpg
The basics are on.
CE003.jpg
The flavor from cooking on the BGE really comes through in the final dish. I should have pulled the peppers sooner to make it easier to pull the skin.
CE004.jpg
The tortillas were layered instead of rolling them.
CE006.jpg
Defintely one to make again.
LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    THAT looks fantastic. I have always been a big fan of the green variety of enchilada. Ever tried tomatillos? I would imagine smoking them would be unreal!
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    looking good, where are the NM red chilis?
    love a good enchilada and those look very tastey.
    i wish i had a nickel for every enchilada i ate while living in NM.......

Try what Austin suggested and try the tomatillos they add a great flare to southwestern foods especially chili verde.
  • Gunnar
    Options
    Good point, I just sort of grabbed and dashed through the produce. No doubt they would be a good addition. I added a couple of chunks of pecan to the lump. If you like enchildas, the start of the cook just adds to the dish.
  • Gunnar
    Options
    We get the Hatch peppers here for about 6 weeks here. I have some of the hot in the freezer (charred, skinned and seeded). I was going to use them but the jalepenos I got were hot enough I would of knocked the family out of their chairs. Chili seaon will soon be upon us!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    I really like Hatch chilis as well. It will soon be Hatch chili season soon enough. Your enchiladas look great.....I can almost taste the smokey flavor.

eenie meenie
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I think Chicken Enchiladas would be a perfect dish to cook at the Coop Party...hee..hee..
    Spring "loves her enchiladas" Hen
  • Gunnar
    Options
    I'm right around the corner from you... look forward to meeting you at the Coop Fest.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Great. We are going to have a great time. We look forward to meeting you too. Let us know if you need us to have anything on hand for you to cook with.

SC and SH
  • Gunnar
    Options
    I've assumed the cooking role for the last 15 years plus (mainly because I enjoy it). 3 months on the BGE and loving it. I will get with you closer to the fest to prevent overlaps. Best wishes to you on the keel overhaul. Tell Rodney to snap out of it and resume patrol; he's living in paradise at the coop.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Awesome cook, man! BTW, what is that little pile of rocks by the window? I have a small pile of rocks which look like that too--I found them in the bags of lump :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    That dish looks might fine.

I would like to see your recipe, I will check above to see it it was posted.

GG
  • ChefBrian
    ChefBrian Posts: 172
    Options
    Looks Great. I have fire roasted the Tomatillos and made the green sauce from scratch. But normally just roast a few veggies as you did and then add a can of green salsa.
  • Gunnar
    Options
    Good catch. Most of the rock pile came from the first two bags of RO. I've been through another 6 bags and have added very little. Party favors. :blink:
  • Gunnar
    Options
    Sort of winged it from Brian's post.

1 bell pepper
    1 pablano
    2 to 3 jalapenos (used one, this group was hotter than usual.)
    2 1/2 pounds chicken breast
    1 red onion
    2 medium tomatoes

All of this cooked till the chicken came to temp. Next time I’ll pull the peppers earlier. They over cooked and it was tedious to pull the skin and leave the flesh. I id add a couple of chunks of pecan to old lump prior to adding additional lump.

8 oz package of shredded Monterey Jack cheese (used ½ or so)
    8 oz package of shredded Pepper Jack cheese (used ½ or so)
    6 flour tortillas
    1 can green verde sauce (Local store brand HEB for enchilada sauce and it was good)

After the cook of the top ingredients, chopped cut and mixed together in a bowl.

Spooned ¼ of the mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish, added a little cheese, some of the verde sauce and a couple of the tortillas. Repeat to the top.
    Dome temp was 350 to 375 for 30 to 40 minutes.

The dish was approximately 7” x 12” and it was full. We’ve had 2 meals and still have a little bit left over. The overall taste will tell you it came off the BGE not from an oven.
  • Gunnar
    Options
    I neglected to say the salt & pepper was minimal. I added a little mexican oregano & cilantro to the mixture.