Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with first Butt

Options
Jeet
Jeet Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am currently cooking a 6.3 lb butt. I am holding the dome temp at 230 F with the DigiQ II. Should I turn on the ramp funtion on? I currently have the alarm set to 200 F food.

Thanks!

Mike P.
Cumming, GA

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    230F will take some time to cook. 275F will have it done by morning. I always pull my butts at 192F. I don't know about ramping because I have a stoker. Just choose a temp and go with that. You'll do great. And don't forget the pics.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Mike,

I cook pork butts at 250° dome, and don't use the ramp unless I'm trying to hold the temp for an extended period. The temperature will start going down to meet the target temp and may actually cause the cook to take longer. Also, I set the food probe for 200°. That temp will allow you to pull with regular dinner forks without too much trouble.

What time did you start the cook? Just let the DigiQ do its thing and you'll be fine. If you're really concerned about overshooting the internal temp and you have a lot of fuel, you can go ahead and set the ramp mode to on (rAY) and it'll hold at your done temp and will not overcook the food. I've found that it takes longer to cook, since the pit temp will drop to meet the food temp.

Good luck with the cook, man!
  • Jeet
    Options
    Thanks Big'un and Mike,

I started the cook at 6pm yesterday. I wanted to eat the pork for lunch today. I turned off the ramp at midnight before going to bed. It is now 8:15 pork is currently at 167 and everything seems to be going smooth up to this point. Dome temp is now at 260.

I will post pictures when done,

Thanks!

Mike P.
    Cumming, GA
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Are you 230 at the grid or dome temp? where is the probe
  • Jeet
    Options
    FINALLY! It came out great!! Thank you all very much for your help with this project. The dome temp was at 270 and I had the alarm set at 200. It was the best pulled pork I’ve ever had! We had it on cheap hamburger bread and homemade bbq sauce and of course slaw. I got the recipe from the Naked Whiz website. It took 17 hours. I do have to admit I ran out of fuel and the temp dropped to 205 and kept dropping early this am. I refueled and got it up to 270 and finished her off. Lesson learned! I did not go all the way to the top of the fire box with lump when I started.

firstbutt.jpg

firstbutt2.jpg

firstbutt3.jpg

Thanks again!

Mike P.
    Cumming, GA
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Congrats on the pork butt--that's a good looking roast. Yup, I would recommend filling the lump up to the top of the firebox, mixing some smoking wood in at different layers if you like the smoke taste. I use a MAPP gas torch, and have followed the excellent advice of Mad Max and just light at the 12 o'clock position for the low-and-slow. I let the lid stay open for a bit with the plate setter installed until fire is going well, then I put a few chunks of smoking wood (usually hickory and apple combo) in there (dry, not soaked) and put the meat in the cooker. Lighting it just in the back has left me lots of leftover lump after the cook to keep going. Additionally, I use the DigiQ with the 10cfm fan choked down to 1/3 for the LBGE, 1/4 for the SBGE (you're running a large, right?)

Like you, I also use the cheap hamburger buns with mine :)
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Hey that looks really good. Congratulations.
  • Jeet
    Options
    Thanks! I have the large BGE. I had to leave on a business trip but my wife and kids made pizza today. They used pizza dough and put the pulled pork and with the bbq sauce and of course cheese. They left none for me! :angry: :laugh: It was that good....
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Nice pulled pork, Jeet, and I love your granite.
  • Jeet
    Options
    Thanks! The granite is lighter than the picture represents. The glass cutting board is PERFECT for pulling pork. I don't like to cut on the glass because it make a loud clank when cutting and drives my wife nuts. But for pulling pork I can't think of anything better. Once I pulled it I placed the whole board in the middle of the table and we all dug in. :woohoo:

Mike P.
    Cumming, GA