Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calibrating the BGE Temperature Gauge

Options
Cordon Lou
Cordon Lou Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friends,

I have lost the instructions for calibrating the temperature gauge on my large BGE. I would very much appreciate any help.

Lou

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Place it in a pot of boiling water, hold the dial face and turn the nut on the back till it reads the temp at which water boils for your elevation. Use a 7/16" wrench.
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    On another topic (nomex gaskets) I believe you posted a couple of days ago that you put a new nomex gasket on your Xl and it promptly turned loose the first time you hit 400. I did the same thing on my XL, put a new nomex gasket on, followed all instructions, a couple of low temp cooks, and the first time I hit 350, the gasket started sliding around. Last night I followed you advice and cranked up the heat, the gasket adhesive came off in a sheet, put bolts on the rim and burned off the residue. Picked up 3m77 today. Question- do I spray both the gasket and the egg or just the gasket? Thanks for the help.

Liv'n XL in Jax

Gordon
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    UIS,

I have same delema, I am going to install a nomex but I don't want to go through the double replace.

The manual for the eggs on the felt say to apply the 3M on the ceramic. Somewhere I read both surfaces I can't seem to find that reference.

FilsGrill said he just applied to the felt and his hasn't had any problems.

I am trying to figure out a way to get the membrane off of the nomex so I can just install it one time. I have tried a lot of different things to try and get it to separate but no luck with any cold methods so far.

I am thinking of putting it on a cookie sheet with some parchment paper and putting it in the oven. Get it to a point where I can peel the membrane off.

GG

GG
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    The only thing I could think of after I was finished was to try a heat gun. The adhesive actually came off in a clear strip that I was able to grab off the rim and roll up in a ball. Now the gasket is a little tacky, but not sticky. If you try heat gun, let me know if it works. I'm sure this won't be the last gasket replacement.

Gordon
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    That is a good idea, thanks. I have a shrink wrap heat gun I will try that tomorrow.

I am not real excited to put a roll of nomex in the oven, letting the adhesive liquify then something shift or move and have a solid roll of gasket material all fused together.

GG
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Sorry it took me so long to get back. Had some company drop in.

Actually I tried the keep it under 400 for the first few cooks trick. Seems like that advice as it pertains to the Nomex doesn't matter. It let loose from the backing when temp went to 500 for a pizza cook.

To answer your question, I sprayed both the rim and the gasket. Allow it to tack up a little, (about 5 min) then carefully put them back together. Still holding strong.

I did place the bolts and nuts there just to burn off the residual adhesive. Do not attempt this if you still have a gasket on either the lid or base.
  • Cordon Lou
    Options
    Many thanks. - Lou
  • Cordon Lou
    Options
    Many thanks. Lou