Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Briquettes

emilluca
emilluca Posts: 673
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Almost made a big mistake. Royal Oak Lump has dried up in the Indy area. I have not found it in the stores I normally visit. I was in Lowe's looking for a Patio Umbrella to use on my egg table and they had Royal Oak in a shinning bag for 5.39 and I picked up 6 bags. On the way to the car I read the bag closer and realized it was briquet's. I did not know Royal Oak made briquet's, I am still searching for Royal Oak lump. I really like it and the others I have tried just don't give me the control I get with Royal Oak. It is like the Red Handle screwdriver I choose to use. Others may work but I like the Red Handle one. Comfort and confidence in what you are using is important.
So if around the Indy area and you know where some Royal Oak is let me know I need to stock up for winter. I plan on using the egg all year. Hope the new Patio umbrella keeps the snow off.

E

Comments

• is is better than the green egg lump?...never seen Royal Oak Lump in my part of Florida
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    I cant find Royal Oak either, and while BGE is great lump it's full of too much small pieces.

This is my new favorite stuff, from the Naked Whiz review website.

Here is a link with some locations. I've been using it and love it! Huge pieces.

http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/retail_locations.htm
  • emilluca
    I have not tried the Big Green Egg lump. I have read where it is the same thing. Royal Oak packages the Big Green egg. Royal Oak when I was finding it at WalMart was only 5.59 a bag. That spoiled me. The Egg dealer close to be has BGE lump and I will give it a try when my 2 bags of RO is gone.
    I have tried GFS lump [does not burn as hot] and Cowboy which was smaller pieces and not as clean or hot burning.
    E
  • emilluca
    I saw it and that may be the answer. I hate to pay the price and have to ship. No dealers in Indiana but I sure will. Don't want to fuel the egg with anything other then the best I can get. Doesn't make sense to cut cost when you have 40.00 worth of protien on the egg grill.
    E
  • yikes...$5.59, green egg lump is $20..but i can get the broken bags for $12....it works great for me
  • I did the same thing, but I actually opened my bag only to discover then that it was briquettes.

I haven't been able to find R.O. for months now, so I've been using Cowboy.
    Funny thing is, my experience with Cowboy is the exact opposite of yours. I've used it off and on over the past two years and I've never had a bad batch, never sparks and it burns hotter and cleaner than anything else I've used (R.O., BGE, and a few others that I tried and dismissed) minimal ash too.

I used to prefer it for hotter cooks because it burned so hot, but now I use it for everything.