Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fast Cook Brined Butt - 4.5 Hours - 8 pounder

Options
gthom
gthom Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a butt last night and planned on having pulled pork "samiches" for supper tonight. I really wanted to try brining one, so I decided to do a fast cook butt today. I brined it over night (about 12 hours) in salt, brown sugar, apple juice, water, garlic powder, and onion powder. I took it out, washed it off, and put it back in the fridge for 3 more hours to drain.

Put it on at 12:15pm at 375 dome (indirect with drip pan of apple juice). Had several hickory chucks in there providing the smoke.

Wrapped in foil at 175 at around 3 hours. Pulled at 200 at around 4.5 hours. Now resting under foil and towels for 1.5 hours until supper. Stay tuned to "same egg post, same egg channel" for pics of the pull and a review of "did the brine help or hurt". (I did sneak a preview when doing the fork test.....mmmmmmm, definitely a different flavor....can't wait to see the end results!!)

DSC_0704.jpg

Comments

• Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    Options
    I am going to have to save this your 6 hours beats my 21 hours..... :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    As I was told with fast cooks. The fat may not render consistantly or completly.

When I did a fast butt it did tase very good but I noticed a difference in the texture and some of the fat was a tich jello'ie.

If I were in a time cruch I wouldn't hesitate to cook fast at all.

Let us know the final taste...

GG