Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Minon Fuse

Options
bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The minion fuse is a way of controling the burn on a long cook. This will ony work with a pit minder devise.
I use the Digi 11. You will need two 28oz cans (Hunts tomatoes worked for me) Open the top of one can (smoke can) and cut open the top and bottom of the other. (the divider) (save or discard contents) Using a philips screw driver, punch holes in the bottom of the smoke can. The other can cut down the side. Be VERY careful and wear thick gloves. After you make your cut, lay on a hard surface and make flat. I bent it by hand and used a hammer. Take one end and bend it around the first can. Place both cans into your egg and cut to fit. See photos.
P1050002.jpg
These are the individual parts. The smoker can and divider.
P1050001.jpg
Once you get it where you want it, place it in the egg and fill it with lump. Position the divider so it is just to the right of the draft door. Fill the can with your smokin wood, and light the lump from the left side of the divider. This is where the BBQ golf club comes in handy.
P1050006.jpg
You can get over 18 hours using this system. If you want to attach the divider to the smoke can, use ss nuts and bolts. DO NOT USE anything with aluminum like pop rivets. Hope this helps.
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I don't see the point in this as I can easily get 24 hours without any extra equipment. In my WSM days I used the Minon method to extend the cooking time for low and slow cooks, but even then I quit using that method when I got a Guru. -RP
  • bubba tim
    Options
    I was having an issue with trying to keep the temp at 200 degrees. Just using the minon method would ignite too much lump. The "fuse" is used with very large fire side box smokers. They construct a series of " U "s to direct the burn. Maybe you don't use or like extra equipment, thats cool. I just like to tinker a bit and be creative. Different strokes... :)
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • AZRP
    Options
    Point taken, when it comes to tinkering I've probably bought every BBQ related piece of equipment that has ever been mentioned here. Since you have a Guru, you should be able to fill your firebox, light the lump in several places, and let the Guru bring it up to your temp and hold it there. -RP
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You don't want to cook at 200 anyway. Too low. The lowest one should go is 225, minimum. It does nothing to the food except take longer to cook and use more lump.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I have the Competitor model Guru and I think that the lowest dial setting is 175°, which I use for smoking salmon etc. I can also join the pit probe and meat probe with foil, enter the ramp mode, and use the Guru hold even lower pit temps, like for jerky.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i wonder if you could cook a butt direct that way in the egg on a raised rack, it definatly would increase the distance to the fire and you dont need as much lump in there as you would with an indirect setup. i always wanted to try a direct butt cook but im probably not going to buy the pitminder which it looks like you would need to get the fire to burn around the trench.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    Options
    Yeah, the fooling the Guru method. -RP

jerky.jpg
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    At the risk of "throwing in with a proven Forum troublemaker"...like yourself...I have to go along with you here Randy!

It's not that I don't get it, (or appreciate it's use with a WSM)...but I don't see the need with an Egg, and a Guru/Stoker!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • madmike
    madmike Posts: 103
    Options
    AZRP wrote:
    Yeah, the fooling the Guru method. -RP

jerky.jpg

I don't get it......Whatchu makin' here??Looks good tho :)
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I agree with you regarding Randy! :woohoo: But, then, your opinion means "EVERYTHING"!! Heeeeee! :laugh: :woohoo:
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    You know....it takes some longer than others,

But I think you're finally comming around!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I'm not even gettin close to this one... :laugh:
  • AZRP
    Options
    Beef jerky, by putting the Guru in ramp mode and clipping the two probes together, I can get the temp to hold at 160. -RP
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Thanks a good question. I don't know if I would be that brave with a $20 piece of meat.
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Dang Chubby, You forget I have 60 lbs of the Argentina Royal Oak. It has realy large chunks of lump. Sometimes hard to control when they get lit. The other issue is I don't have a good seal with the dome to the base. Not bad but when the wires from the probes are between the two I have a 1/16 inch gap all the way around. I agree with all of you, in a perfect world, it is not needed.
    Neccesity is the mother of invention. You know, kinda like a grill mate. ;)
  • bubba tim
    Options
    it does take a long time. 225 hmmmmm, I might try that.
    Thanks.