Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Contest Help

Options
Egglicious
Egglicious Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey gang. Our local county fair is having a beef cookoff contest I am going to enter. I feel I can make a pretty decent brisket. I have to turn in three plates for the judges. I am a KCBS certified judge and have judged many contest so I know what there turn in boxes look like. The problem is I have to have enough food for peoples choice also. If I put six slices of bisket in each turn in box I wont have enough food.
Any ideas of pictures of some plates of brisket would be appreciated. I am thinking about using the 9 inch turn in box and making a brisket sandwich with two slices along side and a few pieces of burned ends. I am going to use some parsley for garnish.

Happing Egging All

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Are you sure each box has to have six slices? There might only be 3 judges.

So they are going to let you setup and cook the night before?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I would check the rules. This isn't a KCBS competition, but more like an Anything Butt entry.

As Buster alluded too they don't normally allow you to setup and cook all night at a County Fair just for a beef cook-off.
  • Egglicious
    Options
    I am setting up tonight,( Friday night) judging starts at 10:30 Saturday. There is only going to be three judges but they want three plates of food. The only meat I am doing is brisket. I was going to use the 9 inch turn in boxes, how much parsley do I need to buy for each one??
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    I am still a little confused

1) will they let you stay on the premises all night long? If you are doing a brisket over 10 pounds for a 1030 judging you will need to have it done by 830 or so as it needs to sit and rest. So that means you need to have it on the egg probably around 6pm at the latest.

2) do they need six slices each? If it is only three judges I would probably only do three slices of brisket and maybe a few burnt ends on the plate.

3) if you are truly going to do a KCBS box you will need approx 1/2 pound of parsley or about 8 bunches depending on the look of the parsley and size.
  • Egglicious
    Options
    Yes I can stay on the fair grounds all night. I plan on going up soon to take the Egg up and will start cooking tonight.

I am sure there is only three judges, but they want three separate plates turned in. I dont have to use the KCBS turn in boxes but I thought they would look nice and I am sure no one there has seen them before. I thought if I only put three slices of brisket in the box it would look a bit bare. Thats why I thought I might make a brisket sandwich to put in the box, along with a few slices of brisket on the sides and a few burned ends.