Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My best pizza yet

Options
Boatman
Boatman Posts: 854
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made another no knead pizza again last night, my best effort so far. I have the dough part down pat now. The toppings were tomato slices , green peppers, fresh mozzerella cheese and fresh cut basil....about 14 minutes at 500 B)

IMG_1207.jpg

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    what is 'no knead' dough?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Boatman
    Options
    It is a method of mixing dough without a mixer or kneading by hand. Just mix to incorporate ingredients and set aside....very simple. It is taken from the NY Times recipe for no knead bread. B)
  • GreenEgger
    GreenEgger Posts: 38
    Options
    Looks fantastic!

Someone have a link handy to the no knead dough recipe?
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I make the No Knead bread....how do you adapt that recipe to make pizza dough?
  • Boatman
    Options
    Here you go:

No-Knead Pizza Dough

3 cups bread flour
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp instant yeast
    1 cup luke warm water
    3 Tbs olive oil

Mix the dry ingredients together, add the water, then the olive oil. Shape into a ball and put into a bowl sprayed with olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 2 hours minimum. Roll out on a floured board and let rise for another ½ hour. Then spray the top of the dough with olive oil to prevent the toppings from seeping into the dough. Add toppings and bake in BGE for 12 minutes at 425 high up in the dome. Use platesetter, then woo ring, grid on top then the pizza stone.
  • Boatman
    Options
    Here you go:

ngredients for basic No Knead Bread
    5 cups bread flour
    1/4 tsp. instant yeast
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 cups purified or spring water
    Mix together the dry ingredients.
    Mix in water until the water is incorporated.
    Cover with plastic and let sit 18 hours.
    Follow video instruction for folding.
    Cover loosely with plastic and rest for 15 minutes.
    Transfer to well floured towel or proofing basket. Cover with towel and let rise about 1 1/2 hours.
    Bake in covered La Cloche or Dutch oven preheated to 500 degrees for 30 minutes.
    Remove cover; reduce heat to 450 degrees and bake an additional 15 minutes.
    Let cool completely on rack.
    Consume bread, be happy.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    let sit for 18 hours?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Boatman
    Options
    Yes, or more if desired.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i take it you changed from the old no-knead

so which one is better?

Pizza, Dough, no-knead

2 1/4 cups all purpose or bread flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp instant yeast
    3/4 cup luke warm water ( had to all a little more)
    3 Tbs olive oil - put this in last

1 Mix all together, spray inside of another bowl with olive oil, put in dough, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for minimum 2 hours, more is fine. Roll out and brush with olive oil, add toppings and into the egg. 12 minutes at 400 degrees high in the dome.
    2 Enjoy

Yield: Makes one nice 15" pizza

Recipe Source
    Author: BGE forum, Boatman, on 2008/03/25

Source: Breadtopia web site.

here is the old one

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Boatman
    Options
    I like the latter version better. I believe it yeilds a nicer crust, and is the perfect size (16"). Being from NY I am a pizza snob, and take my work seriously LOL B) :woohoo: :silly:
  • BENTE
    Options
    then i will change it

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• GreenEgger
    GreenEgger Posts: 38
    Options
    What is the video instruction for folding? Thanks!
  • BENTE
    Options
    here is the video i have watched before i only used it to make the no-knead bread but it is some good bread here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

here is the bread

DSCN0594.jpg

and the recepie i used:::

Bread, No Knead Brock from just across.........

OK -- Here goes! This is a no-knead recipe. Very little "hands-on" time... maybe a total of ten minutes handling ingredients.

1 Simply dump into a bowl and quickly mix together
    2 > 3 Cups all purpose flour
    3 > 1/2 tsp yeast
    4 > 1-1/2 tsp salt [I use sea salt]
    5 Then just dump in 1-1/2 cups of good tasting water
    6 > In about 20 - 30 seconds, just squish the water into the flour... don't worry about "under mixing." It will hydrate on its own.
    7 Cover with plastic, and let sit on the counter 12+ hours.
    8 < The longer it sits, the more taste it will develop
    9 The next day ---
    10 Flop the gooey mess onto a well floured countertop.
    11 >It will be really sticky, and will seem like it is too wet. It isn't!
    12 >Use flour liberally on your hands, and "powder" the dough as needed so you don't end up wearing it!
    13 Tri-fold the mess as best you can just twice!
    14 < Work the dough a bit with your fingers to de-gas the biggest bubbles. Unlike traditional bread making, don't overwork this section. You can do this in maybe 15 seconds at the most.
    15 < Leave some gas bubbles in the dough.
    16 As best you can with the gooey mess, keep your hands well floured, roll into a ball and place the dough into a lightly oiled [EVOO] bowl.
    17 Cover with a towel, and walk away!
    18 < To this point, your total contact time with ingredients is maybe a minute, include measuring the flour, yada-yada.
    19 < Just walk away, Jose! -- For two hours.
    20 Preheat your oven [Egg] to 450F, with the empty clay covered bread baker inside. I separate the body from the cover.
    21 Turn the dough out on the counter again, gently de-gassing.
    22 < Tri-fold twice!
    23 < Then shape the dough into an appropriately long "log."
    24 < Again, this is a fast-'n-furious step, taking less than a minute.
    25 < When the "log" is formed, let it rest for about 10 minutes.
    26 Quickly, toss the "log" into the clay baker, cover the baker with its clay top and put the baker into your Egg/oven for 30 min @ 450F
    27 < The extremely wet dough [superhydrated] will steam -- but the steam can't escape the clay baker easily... this is what makes that crispy, yummy crust on the bread!
    28 < BTW -- The bread will not stick to the baking pot. < Don't grease the baker, or anything. Just use it.
    29 After 30 minutes, take the lid off the cooker, and continue to bake for 20 more minutes.
    30 Viola! The deed is done!
    31 < Remove the baker from the Egg/oven
    32 < Turn your Italian loaf out on to a rack to cool at least 30 min. before slicing. The inside of a loaf of any bread needs this rest time before slicing, or the inside of the bread can turn out "gummy."
    33 Enjoy the best Italian bread you've ever had.
    34 DISCLAIMER: Do not subject the clay baker to direct heat, nor to temps above 450F. In the Egg, have a spacer between the plate setter and the baker. In a kitchen over, set the clay baker on the middle rack.

Recipe Type
    Bread

Cooking Tips
    i use a dutch oven in my egg instead of a clay baker

Recipe Source
    Author: Broc just across………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Source: BGE Forum 2008-01-17

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb