Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help The Boss Is Coming

Options
hondahogger
hondahogger Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a new egg owner! The Boss is Coming for dinner Sunday. I'm doing a Beef Brisket. Any body has good recipes?????

Comments

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    honda hogger...never done a brisket myself but you can go to search forum type in brisket and you will get tons of info on how to.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    is this your first brisket cook and/or first low and slow on the egg. i like them sweet and cover with sugar and syran wrap for a few hours before cooking, then add some dizzy pig cowlic and some Lysander's SPICY BOURBON Rub and cook it like a pork butt over night usually with a pork butt sitting over it on a raised rack. the pulled pork is a backup plan incase the brisket doesnt fair well.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Is there a particular reason you are doing beef brisket? Brisket can be one of the hardest cooks to get right.

I would suggest pulled pork or ribs for the boss...appetizers of ABT's, Pig Candy and or Bacon Wrapped Scallops...all easy & delicious...

good luck on whatever you decide..
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I concur.....ribs are much more forgiving, shorter cook and prep, and very tasty.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    HH,

Look for Elder Ward's method in recipes and follow that to the letter. Get a good piece of meat with a little fat on it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't do a brisket. I have done maybe 5 briskets over the past year or so and have yet to be satisfied with my results. I think brisket is challenging to get right.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Just a few words of caution and advice. A brisket is one of the most difficult(read fussy)cooks to get right. Even very experienced brisket cookers have their share of failures through no fault of their own. It can be a very finicky cut of meat to have come out perfectly. There are many other eye-popping entrees that would impress the boss without the risks that a brisket poses. Do you want to take the chance of serving your boss a great piece of shoe leather? Just my 2 cents. Good luck, Mark :unsure:
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Options
    I am goig with the last post ,Maybe something really as good but for 1st run really simple like a turkey and baked taters ,See photo rub on veg oil set up for 375
    and last hour put in baked tater rubed in x virgin oil and kosher salt .

100_4401.jpg
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    If you will be ever looking for a raise in the future ... I would buy a beef loin and sear up some steaks to order. They always come out great and you will be praised!
  • Fireball II
    Fireball II Posts: 213
    Options
    I agree sear a greatsteak and all the trimings. Alot less pain on you and it will be hard to mess up. This may save your job! He He HE. JD
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i agree with the above. brisket is a long cook ...i assume you do not have a guru... you will be up most of the night , tired when the boss is there and there is no garauntee of success, even if you follow all the instructions.
    do something else and do at least one practice cook first. so many easier cooks with a WOW factor.
    stuff is so much better on the egg you could do burgers and dogs and still impress him..
    bill
  • Fireball II
    Fireball II Posts: 213
    Options
    Wife had been out of town for several days. She call about an hour from home. I tired of chicken & pork (been with family to long) please sear me a steak. This is Sunday evening no butcher shop open just a local grocery. Turned out great everything was prepared on the grill. All done in less than 1 1/2 hours. Check out the pic. Good luck! JD

DSCN0183.jpg
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Depends on what type of person he is. I agree with vidalia--pork butt or ribs and some good appetizers-abt's, bacon wrapped tater tots are good especially if kids are going to be around. Keri hoggs beans would be a good side dish.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have enjoyed the responses. Brings back some fun memories of my younger years.

You need to think about some things. What is your experience level on the egg. Do you know how your cook is going to come out.

Most importantly, what is your goal with cooking for your boss. Is he a "friend" (in his eyes)? Is this a new person you are trying to impress? Are you trying to impress with the things you have or how good you can cook?

Your safe bet is to cook something you have done before and you know will taste good.

I haven't done a lot of brisket but the ones I have done have been pretty good. One dry but good, bbq sauce saved that cook. I lost one brisket due to the fire going out, I didn't build the fire and lit the lump correctly. At at that time my overnight cooks were always checked on throught the night.

I too would recomend something else at this stage in your egg life. Pulled Pork is great eats and is pretty hard to mess up.

My 2¢ worth.

GG
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    I wouldn't get discouraged about the brisket. I think the toughest thing about it is timing when it will be done and that's the only reason I wouldn't do it. Prime rib would be my choice with twice baked potatoes cooked on the egg. Solid meal every time but incredible on the egg.
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    MShark makes about the best brisket I've tasted. She has done classes on them at the OKCfests. I think something like chicken....you can really wow him with the moistness. Then...there's always cake for dessert. too.

kim