Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP -- Do I have a problem--?

Options
Broc
Broc Posts: 1,398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About six weeks ago, I posted that my firebox had crumbled. I JBWelded [new verb] it together by assembling it upside down.

Now, it has cracked apart again [different places], and the widest gap is about 3/8"

Do I risk cracking the Egg itself with such a wide gap as I continue to use the damaged firebox?

~ Broc

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Why have you not replaced it? Should be under warranty.
  • Broc
    Options
    Waiting for the dealer... :angry:

Is there a "twiddle-thumbs" icon?

~ B
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    mine is in 3 pieces and i think fishlessman said his was in 7 . the gaps will take up the expansion. i do not worry about it ,,, no jb weld just put it back together like a puzzle. it is a warranty covered item so get a new one. i will but just have been to lazy to bother.
    bill
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    I would replace it. It's a fairly inexpensive piece considering what could happen with shattered fire box. I would also contact The home planet and check on warranty possibilities.
    FireWalker
  • Broc
    Options
    Thanks -- I hope the dealer comes through right soon! He's having it sent along with his "regular" delivery... which means he ain't selling a lot of Eggs.

Visiting his shop [an ACE hardware store] his sales staff are pushing gassers... They don't seem to know a lot about the Egg.

~ B
  • Broc
    Options
    Yep -- It's covered by warranty. Just a slow-moving dealer.

[sigh]
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Broc,

Go to an automotive store and pick up some high temp header tape and some high temp silicone. Possibly that will hold the temp.

I measured the lump temp on my medium and it was 1107°.

BGE's front page says it will withstand 1800°.

I would question that the glaze would hold under that high a temp. Usually glaze is fired to a lower temp.

With the BGE specs I would think that means the entire egg.

When I plugged the gap to get higher temp the outside of the egg got to 460° just below the band and again 2" up above the dome ridge at the band lever. That was hot enough to cause a stinging burn.

The heat in the fire box will rise and some of the air will travel to the outside of the fire box. That air movement may be enough to keep the outside of the egg relative low in temp.

Also, if your JB epoxy is not melting now then you could tape the back side of the crack and fill the gap with JB.

Kent
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    My dealer gave me one, and a fire grate off the shelf on the spot but told me not to JB Weld until after the rep came by to authorize it. Guess dealers are different.