Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating "the" Chicken

Options
GreenEgger
GreenEgger Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning on having leftovers from last night and curious about any tips on reheating "the" chicken.

Also just curious, has anyone tried freezing leftovers?

Thanks!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    A lot of folk freeze leftovers. Most report using a vacuum seal system.

In the past I have purchased 3 vacuum sealers and have most of the time lost the seal and got freezer burn and frost. I even tried double and triple sealing.

Thought to self, why me.

Anyway, due to the forum, I am thinking of getting yet another vacuum/sealer.

As for reheating if it is just chicken then we use the microwave.

However, left over chicken, some cream of mushroom soup, chicken stuffing, a few veggies makes a fantastic casserole.

Chicken fajitas, taco's, burritos and on and on are great.

GG
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I nuke them. -RP
  • Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    Options
    We have reheated the beer can chicken twice on the egg and it worked beautifully. We wrapped it in tin foil and put indirect at about 275 while we had a tottie.

The chicken tasted just as good and juicy as it was after the first cook. You could even add a little juice of some sort if you wanted. White wine, beer, water,...... :cheer:
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    how about the "microwave?"
  • GreenEgger
    GreenEgger Posts: 38
    Options
    I went w/ the microwave and it was pretty darn tasty. I thought I might miss the crispyness that the microwave wouldn't provide, but I really didn't. Thanks for the feedback...
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Kent,

I've got a FoodSaver brand vacuum sealer and I love it - hardly ever loose a seal. If you have had problems it may be not having a clean bag at the point of seal. Be careful to wipe down the inside of the bag top if it gets messed putting food in. Also, wet foods present a problem as the vacuum pump tries to pull liquid as well as air. Mine has an "instant seal" feature that is supposed to turn off the pump and turn on the heat strip, but there is enough of a delay that it sometimes still pulls some liquid. If you are freezing anyway, the trick is to freeze before sealing - simply prop the filled, unsealed bag in the freezer until frozen, then take it out and seal it. Works slick!