Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ping Dynagreaseball

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wanting to do the 500 degree chicken tonight, my question is how do you think cooking some new potatoes below the chicken, instead of the drip pan would work, letting the drippings from the chicken mix with the potatoes, or do you or anyone else, think the temps would be too hot, and I should just go with whole bakers? Thanks in advance for the advice. Also, any opinions on the rub for the Chx? A little more info. If I did the new potatoes I would probably also add onions, and some oil, or liquid of some variety, maybe cream of chix soup, or any other opinions are welcome, I know that there is going to have to be some sort of liquid in the potatoes, OK, i'm done rambling, and i'm going to sit back and wait for the expert advice.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Not expert advice...

I have done the potatoes, onions, pepper, a little sweet italian sausage under the chicken @ 400°. The last 10 minutes I cover the pan with cheese.

400° will get the bottom potatoes brown to a possible burn. It all tastes great though even the burnt ones.

I think 500° for the vegies is a bit high. Maybe put the tray on after 20 to 30 minutes into the chicken cook.

The potatoes, onions & stuff tast as good or better than the chicken and the chicken tastes fantastic.

Just my 2¢ worth.

GG
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Sorry I took so long.
    Yesterday, someone posted a report about the very same thing you're thinking about. I'll see if I can find it. I've done the veggies under chicken thighs before using a raised grid, but it wasn't the 500* method. By the way, it was a total success. Both the chicken and the veggies were delicious. Can't remember who did it first, maybe GranpasGrub, maybe RRP or AZRP.

For what it's worth, every time I've done the 500* chicken, the drippings were pretty well burnt--even when I used balls of foil under the drip pan to try to keep it cooler, so I think a lower temp would be safer with the veggies. I need to experiment more with this, but so far, I haven't used any rub, and no oil...just a small frier under 4 lbs, breast side down, right on the grid, with a plate setter.

I noticed that pix of some of the other's 500* cooks showed a darker skin whenever a rub was used. Without any rub, the skin turns out a little more blonde. Remember that any rub containing sugar will turn to carbon at that temperature, so choose carefully if you use a rub.

Let us know how your cook turns out. Hope you can take some pix too.

If I find that post, I'll come back and add to this thread.

Regards
  • DynaGreaseball
    I think this is what I was thinking about, and what GranpasGrub was referring to.

Click This

Good luck.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Those reds quartered would also be fantastic maybe even taste better than the bakers.

AZRP also has a spud tub he uses.

I will need to photo what I do. It is something I did when I was heavy into Dutch Oven cooking. A take off of scalloped potatoes n onions n cheese. The I added some mild & hop peppers and had some leftover sweet italian sausage.

The potato tub was emptied out in a heartbeat.

There is no specific way to make this, just use what you have. Some EVOO, S&P and topped with butter & cheese added at the end.

I do wonder if the 500° cook would be too hot for the tub though. Great another test.

GG
  • DynaGreaseball
    I like Dr Walrod's idea of using some soup along with the veggies, but I fear at 500* it would turn into toast. I guess the veggies could be removed before they burned, but EVOO is probably all that's needed.

I look forward to the report on your experimentation...provided that it's not a Wal-Mart shopping day. LOL
  • Grandpas Grub
    Walmart shopping stunts must be a guy thing.

I keep buying ingreedients for stuff I see on the forum that I want to do. Then spend a day cleaning out the fridge and tossing the stuff I bought because I never never got around to making it. I have tried to make beans 3 or 4 times and have ended up tossing some of the stuff away.

I am wanting to make the potatoes for some time now. I might just do a main dish out of it.

GG