Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frenched Lamb

Options
bmlove
bmlove Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did some frenched Lamb last nite on the egg. This is those lamb ribs you get at Sam's club that has the bones exposed. Cooked them direct at about 375-400 with the bones pointing away from the fire to keep from burning them. Cooked for 7 mins turned over and 6 mins more, then wrapped in foil and let rest for about 15 mins while I cooked some burgers just in case. Internal temp about 150 - medium rare.

Seasoning was just salt, pepper, olive oil, rosemary, and a little garlic powder, had marinated for about an hour.

What's my point.

I have had these before on other grills (YUCK!) The reason for the burgers. :laugh:

But with my new egg (only 2 weeks now) they were terrific! I think I'm hooked forever. :)

bmlove, Austin - new egger

P.S. Sorry forgot to take a pic, will try to remember next time.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    One of our favorite lamb meals. Next time try wrapping the bone tips individually in foil before cooking. Also if you can get some branches from a rosemary bush it makes great smoke flavor.

Marinade, Lamb, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Cup Italian Salad Dressing
    4-6 Cloves Garlic, Whole
    1/3 Cup Sweet or Red Onion, Diced
    1/3 Cup Rosemary, Fresh Leaves
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    1 Pinch Sea Salt
    1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Lemon, Juice From
    Fresh Mint leaves, ( Optional )
    1/4 Cup Soy Sauce, ( Optional )

Preparation:
    1 Place all in blender and puree. Place meat in ziploc bag and marinate for 4-6 hours, overnight is OK but be careful after 12 hours as the lemon juice has a tendency to "COOK" the meat.
    2 This works well for lamb kabobs, legs, rack or shoulders and shanks.
    3 Soy sauce may be added for optional flavor.,
    4 If doing shanks, like to cut into 1 1/2-2 inch pieces as this tends to reduce the cooking time.
    5 Save the rosemary twigs for smoke!

Recipe Type
    Marinade

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2001/05/25
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    good stuff.. we are hooked as well
    2d5ceb56.jpg

db3ad808.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    bmlove,

I tried hot tubbing them and the result was fantastic.

020-1.jpg

025-2.jpg

027-2.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bmlove
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe and the pics...everything looks wonderful. Will have to try the marinade, not sure though - I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to seasoning, leaving the smokiness of the flames to season my meat....but sure looks good. Might just have to break down and try that one.

And tks for the foil tip,,, I should have remembered that from my oven days. :)

tks all - good eats as usual

bmlove
  • bmlove
    Options
    Little Steven? What is "hot tubbing?"""""" and what temps did y'all use for your cooks...you had a little more bark on yours than I did...

tks again
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    bmlove,

Hot tubbing is vacuum sealing the meat and immersing in 100 degree water. The idea is to bring the internal temp up to that temp in a sanitary bath. You cook hot after the bath and you don't get the graying from the crust to the interior (although my post didn't show that too well). There is less time exposed to heat and less moisture loss. I did put foil on the rib tips for a while but I could have done without it and still had no burning on the bones. Ross in Ventura is the hot tub expert round here and maybe he will chime in.

Cheers

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON