Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Follow UP Med & Sm – Low Temp & Slow Start Up Time

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to thank all who posted their thoughts on this subject the old post http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=477136&catid=1

I haven’t yet concluded all the tests as of yet and will post when all this is done.

As expected some of the folks report they easily get to high temps and quick lighting time. However, there are a lot of folks who are having real issues with the Medium & Small.

My concern/thoughts were that on my medium & small there is a large gap between the inner wall of the egg and the outer wall of the fire ring. My thinking is that a lot of air is going up between the firebox/firering and the egg wall without actually feeding oxygen to the lump.

When I get the second set of tests done I will post, but for now…

On my medium I ran the test for 1hr 22 minutes. DFMT off and bottom vent & screen wide open. At 1 hr & 7 min the max temp was 460°. I then put on some gloves and plugged the space between the inner egg wall and outer fire ring with foil.

In the next 2 minutes the dome jumped 40° and steadily climbed to 540° without any changes to the egg.

The gap between the inner egg wall and the outer fire ring on this egg is 2 3/8” and plugging that gap increased the egg’s performance.

On the small, no DFMT and bottom vent & screen wide open. At 55 minutes the max temp was 550°

Both eggs the lump was topped off to the top of the firebox.

That’s it for now.

GG

Comments

• porchegg
    porchegg Posts: 47
    Thanks for the info GG. After reading the previous posts I checked my medium for the gap. I too have been having trouble achieving high temps. I have a pretty large gap between the fire ring and inner wall also(didn't measure). There is also a gap between the fire box and the inner egg wall. I decided to try plugging that gap and monitoring for a difference in heat up times and high temps. It made a drastic difference in the time it took my Egg to heat up and now I am seeing much higher temps than before.

Thanks for your observations.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    thanks for doing that .. i have been thinking of getting a third egg....any idea if the mothership has redesigned the ring on new mediums??
    bill
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey GG,sorry that I missed your post the first time around.I read it,but didn't have time to take pics and respond,so here it goes.I got my medium in June of 04'.I have never had any trouble getting it hot.Here are a couple of pics.I can barely get my fingertip in between the shell and the firering.I know that i've had it over 1000* :whistle:

001-24.jpg

002-20.jpg

013.jpg

008-1-1.jpg

My small was purchased December 04'.I have had up to 650* when I first got it(just for fun).Now I never go above 400* or so,mostly just to save the gasket.I'm not worried about my medium gasket,so I do all my high temp cooks on it ;)The gap on my small is not big enouph to get even a fingertip in ;)

005-15.jpg
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    When I first took my clay egg apart to repair the firebox I saw that they had some sort of gasket or seal between the firebox and fire ring. It was completely burnt up. I cleaned it off and put it together without anything and never thought anything more about it. I do have a 1 inch gap between the wall and ring and a gap between the box and the wall. Kamado-Kamodo has a repair section in their site to repair this.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    G. G. Thanks for your effort to help us med./ small folks. I am having no prob. on my med. at home as I did bread this sunday in my c. i. d. o. However after reading your post I went to two med's on the sales demo area and found them to be diff. One was 14 1/2 " O. D. the next one was 14 3/8 " sooooo their is a diff. Soon as I can I will check Mine prob. Wed. Again thanks for your effort. Miles out.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Thanks GG! As I let you know, my MBGE gap between ring and body is about 5/8" all around. I've noticed it takes longer than it used to to get up to searing temps, but I wrote it off to a change in lump brands (from BGE to WGC Weekend Warrior) but I'm not sure. Hopefully your further testing involves trying to repeat your cold startup test with the foil barrier in place. I'm looking forward to reading more and truly appreciate your efforts!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Hey, thanks for the pictures. I really appreciate that.

I can easily get a finger (fat finger) in each side.

This test is with previous lump and small chunks (real small).

I am going to run the test again with, what I consider, proper lump and all new lump.

I do know I can get a difference with the gap plugged but I am also wondering if part/most of the problem the lump and size of the lump. I need to do this to answer some questions for myself.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    I still have some thoughts as some of it being due to the lump and condiditon of the lump.

I am going to run the test again with and without the 'plugging' and will post.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    I didn't measure the diamater of the ring or egg, I guess I need to do that.

After this next test, I am thinking of just purchasing another fire ring if I can find one that will have a tighter fit.

I also have a couple of other ideas but the gap in my medium is just too large.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    I talked with BGE about this. During that conversation BGE didn't feel the gap would have any affect on the start up or high temp, hence, I began testing.

If I was buying and egg I would pay close attention and get an egg with a tight a fit as possible for two reasons.

I am not careful enough to keep chips/food/lump from falling between the fire ring and egg wall. A tight fit resolves the majority of that problem.

The gap does play some part in how hot and egg will get. I also expect it will play a part on how fast an egg gets to working temp.

I really don't care too much about high temps. I do my searing a different way and don't need high dome temps.

However, on this test using napkin & oil it took too long, for my liking, to get to the higher cooking temp I needed on that cook.

I will now more when the next test is done. Depending the outcome I am going to build a low voltage powered starter fan - something that is light and can be hooked to the vent grouves.

I am thinking of playing with making some kind of air tunnel from the vent to the fire box - eliminating most of the air flow to the outside of the fire box.

Not sure where I am going with this all just yet.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    After the first post I made a foil ring for the medium. It did nothing to accelerate the heating of my medium

I did think it through though - the gap of the fire ring mean nothing if the firebox fits tightly. If the firebox has a gap, that would allow air flow to bypass the lump, but if it is tight the air would be forced to flow through the holes and the lump. I just have not disassembled mine to give it a look.

All I know is that my large and mini get up to insane temps in 1/4 to 1/3 the time it takes the medium. I am thinking about raising the fire grate off the bottom of the bowl using bolts, but I am afraid of the fumes given off by the galvanized hardware :evil:
  • Grandpas Grub
    I need to find out from BGE if sealing the gap is going to void the warranty. I also expect sealing the gap is going to put higher heat stress on the egg wall and also higher temp on the outside of the egg - possibly burning fingers or some such thing.

Air flow outside the fire box is an effective insulator. During my initial congersation with BGE the gap or lack thereof was not a factor in either insulation or higher heat or quicker getting to temp.

At the time I didn't have enough information to say anything one way or another.

It doesn't seem like my problem is very wide spread.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Rod, thanks for the input. My reading of your old post was to prevent the 'crap' from falling between the outside of the fire ring and the inside of the egg wall eventually working it's way to the outer fire box.

After reading your original post and plugging my gap, the very next lighting of the medium the performance was much like my large and mini. Quick light and higher temps. Very noticable. That is what got me to wondering and eventually doing these tests.

I agree with your thoughts about the gap in the fire ring and wall being plugged will force air into the fire box.

I wonder if the egg needs that airflow around the base as insulation.

I have also been thinking about a raised fire grid on the medium and small but I am not sure what that would accomplish.

Kent
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Rod,

I see where you're coming from. Gotta take it all apart to see if my MBGE has - or, hopefully, doesn't have - such a gap. Heck, a guy (or gal) needs to take it all apart once in a while for a thorough cleaning anyway, right?
  • Grandpas Grub
    My small and mini I take apart quite often, seems easier than using the itty bitty ash tool.

The medium I take apart just because of the large gap.

The large I have only taken apart one time in a year. It wasn't very dirty on the outside of the firebox so I don't get too worried about this one.

If I think I am having problems with the egg then I will take things apart but that hasn't happened on the large.

GG
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Hey Kent, thanks for bringing this up again. If anyone remembers, I was having problems getting my medium above 350...tried different lump, different starting methods, etc. When you told me about the gap, I made a foil "rope, and filled in the gap. The next cook was amazing, not only did the egg get up to temp fast, it was so fast that it went nuclear and I fried the gasket.

OK, OK, sorry for the long winded reply, but here's what I've been considering to make a long term mod. I'm in the business of distributing industrial pipe, valve and fittings, and one of the complimentary products I sell are various types of gaskets. Among the gaskets are high temp ceramic gaskets. I've been thinking that I need to measure the inside diameter of my mediun at the height of the firebox, and have a gasket made that will sit between the firebox and firering that will close up the gap.

What do you think??
  • Grandpas Grub
    Frank, I really like the idea.

When Fidel, months ago, oritinally posted the idea of a foil fill to prevent 'stuff' from falling between the fire ring and egg wall, I tried the 'rope' also. I didn't make any notes at the time or test temps but I remember thinking 'wow' what an imporvement in start up time and getting to working temp fast.

My gap is so big that it doesn't take long before whatever I stuff in the gap it collapses and ends slipping down out of place.

There could be some design & engineering considerations with regard to non heated airflo going up the side of the egg wall for cooling and or insulation.

I have got to do 1 or 2 more tests than with the information I will have in hand at that time I am again goign to call BGE and ask more pointedly about the gap. I want to know if it has been implemented into the design and more importantly if plugging that gap will in the long run damage the egg or void the warranty.

I would be very interested to learn what you come up with and the cost.

At this point in time I am wondering if the best solution is to buy another fire ring which has a tighter fit to the outside will - or - just sell the medium and be done with it.

I will be posting again regarding this when I get the next round of tests completed.

Let me know what you come up with as I am very much interested.

Thanks, Kent
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Kent,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'll have time until the weekend to get the measurement of the inside diameter at the firebox. Once I do that, I'll probably be able to get the gasket material within a week.

I'll let you know how it works.