Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do It Best Lump Charcoal - Warning!!

Nate in SC
Nate in SC Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All. I am new to the forum but have been reading it for a few weeks and I really do appreciate all of the knowledge gained just in that short time. I have been cooking on the Egg since last year (bought a large in July 2007). I have become a fanatic (of course) and am now starting to experiment and am learning more every day.

Anyway, I have been using Cowboy lump since I got it and also Qik Joe with pretty good success. However, tonight I was ready to do a spatchcock chicken and thought I'd give some new lump a try. Big mistake! I ordered 3 bags of Do It Best lump last week and just picked it up today. A 10lb bag was $5.49 so I thought what the heck. Well, as soon as I get it going it is sparking like crazy. I get it up to about 350F and open the lid and it is a fireworks show. Sparks everywhere just streaming out (I was even burned a few times just standing near). I thought maybe it was a few bad pieces and let it burn off for about 20 minutes but no change. In addition, there is a nice and thick black/white ash coating everything inside the Egg now. I don't think it is safe to cook the chicken on this lump. I don't really want to serve food with ash all over it so I'm probably going to cook it in a dutch oven as a work around just so my wife doesn't go hungry tonight. Wish me luck!

Just wanted to share this experience and warn anyone who might be about to buy this brand. The website says it is "Royal Oak" but the bag is generic and the company listed is "Barbeque Wood Flavors" in Ennis, TX. Oh yeah, one other detail... "Made in Argentina". Argghh... Just read a thread yesterday with the same results from lump from Argentina. No more South American lump in this house! Here is the website:

http://doitbest.com/Charcoal+and+Lighting+Items--model-30501-doitbest-sku-800279.dib

Happy Egging!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    thanks for the heads up i have not seen that around here. but if i do i will be verry aware

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    it's kinda funny, but Argentina grown wood lump keep rising to the surface every time some critical statement is made about crappy, sparky and undesirable lump. I don't know their species of trees, but obviously they differ from ours so as a rule of thumb I'd say steer clear!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    FWIW, I just checked my master data base and all lump from Argentina except Picnic came out Average or Below Average.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    This Do It Best stuff is actually Barbecue Wood Flavors. You find it on the Lump Charcoal Database. I wasn't too impressed.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Nate in SC
    Thanks. I read your review and it was spot on. Unfortunately, I thought it was Royal Oak when I bought this online. Their website says it is "Royal Oak Lump" but this seems to be misleading. Do you know if this is a Royal Oak re-brand or not?

Also, I went out to check it after the chicken was finished and it was still sparking up a storm, even after more than an hour burning. It really is a safety issue more than anything because it is dangerous to be near the Egg with that much spark coming off, not to mention that you can't cook anything on it without having it covered in ash. :ohmy:

On a side note, if anyone knows where to find good lump near Charleston please let me know. I have only been able to find Cowboy at Lowes and Qik Joe. I have tried looking at Wal-Mart but no luck. Thanks.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    try getting in touch with midnight smoker he lives in mt pleasant i think....

i usually go to Charleston AA on fridays i would be happy to bring some there for you if you see anything up my way ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks as always, Doug, for your opinion. I just based my opinion on my personal experience on the 3 bags of Royal Oak from Argentina that I bought a couple years ago. After 2 flash fires with ash problems which I was not accustomed to I put 50+ pounds of that crap in the trash bin. To each his own in this short life!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Any Kroger or Kroger owned chains out there - the Kroger is also Royal Oak.

I too picked up some Do It Best as it stated Royal Oak. Havne't tried it out yet.

I was told by Royal Oak that Kroger brand is Royal Oak private label. Not sure of origin still in the back of the jeep.

GG
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    i will take and dispose of any and all unwanted lump charcoal from anybody on the forum. send me an email and i will provide shipping address and directions. just trying to do my part to make a better world......
  • Nate in SC
    Thanks for the offer. I'll keep looking around here for now. The best I've found is 20lb bag of Qik Joe for around $12. That's my best bet for now and it is pretty good from the few times I've used it. Unfortunately, we don't have a Kroger's or BBQ Galore type store so the choices are somewhat limited in this area. There are a few pool places that carry BGE lump for around $20 a bag... no thanks. Other than that, Cowboy seems to be the only other alternative.

My immediate chore is dumping that Barbeque Wood Flavors stuff in the bin and cleaning all of the ash in the Egg from last night's disaster.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Up until about three months ago, Royal Oak from Do-It-Best was made in the good old USA, but not no mo'.

Mike
    Wrens, GA
  • Nate in SC
    I talked to Do It Best corporate office about this and apparently they do sell Royal Oak as well as Barbeque Wood Flavors lump. I guess someone messed up the description of the Barbeque Wood Flavors on the website and said that it was Royal Oak instead. Hopefully they will clarify this and I can get an exchange on what I bought. I'll let you know what they say and also if the Royal Oak they sell is manufactured in USA or South America. If it is the latter, they can keep it.