Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 butt's off, 1 chuck on!

Options
70chevelle
70chevelle Posts: 280
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After 17 1/2 hours at 12:30pm my 2 9# butts were at 200*. The looked & smelled fantastic. They are comfortably residing in foil inside a cooler awaiting the "pulling". I took off my drip foil, removed the grate & platesetter, added some more lump (amazed that I used, maybe, 1/2 the first load), put in another chunk of hickory, put the platesetter & grate back on, and then the chuck roast. I'm hoping it will be done when I get up tomorrow morning. Afterwork, applepie baked beans, some vinegar based coleslaw, and some final cleaning for the big party on Saturday!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Pictures!!!! We want pictures!!!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Pictures!!!! We want pictures!!!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'll second that...this sounds like a great cook.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    My wife and I are vinegar slaw snobs who have never found a satisfactory recipe for home. There is a small BBQ joint in rural Macon County, TN that I have been trying to wrangle the recipe from for years with no success.

What's your slaw recipe?
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    70chevelle,
    I'm interested in how the chuck turns out......is it like a 'beefy' pulled pork?
    eenie meenie
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    I'll try to take some pic's when I get home and grab the pork out of the cooler. Yes the chuck gets pulled the same as the pork. It's a little dryer, but a great texture. I used a simple rub I made up a while ago that calls for equal parts salt, pepper, brown sugar & paprika. (I'm going from memory) It's very peppery, but since it's only on the outside it should be very good. I rubbed the chuck with EVOO and I also sprinkled on some garlic powder. It's sort of kind of like a smoked italian beef? I got my vinegar based cole slaw recipe from a buddy that got me into smoking. First time I had it I looked at him cross eyed. "You want me to put coleslaw on my pulled pork sandwich?" Being from western PA and spending some of my youth at an establishment called Primanti Brothers in the Strip District of Pittsburgh, I've enjoyed the coleslaw before, but never with pulled pork. I was forever converted. I can take or leave the bun now, but the slaw is a necessity. Although, my wife baked 6 dozen homemade italian rolls from her grandmother's recipe, so I'll definitely be having a bun or three this weekend.

Anyway, (I really need to focus!) from my best recollection, apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard, brown sugar, hot pepper flakes, salt & pepper. The longer it sits the better it gits!
  • Hot Stuff
    Hot Stuff Posts: 82
    Options
    Do a google search for "coleslaw recipe" and i think you'll come up with something satifactory....