Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maintaining low temp?

OakCliffEgg
OakCliffEgg Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I've only owned by large Egg for less than a week, yet I'm diving in headfirst with a 10lb brisket.

I've got it on the Egg as we speak, but I'm having trouble maintaining 250 degrees. The Egg seems to have enough oxygen to burn closer to 300 degrees, and when I cut it back to 250, the fire seems to die (or at least it's not smoking nearly as much as I'd hope for...)

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

Rob

Comments

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Just be patient. Try your daisy barely open and regulate with the lower draft door. Mine is usually about 3/4" open with daisy maybe a 1/16" open. After a while the smoke won't be as much as early in the cook.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Don't judge your fire by the amount of smoke. Bring it down to 250° and hold it there and you'll be fine.
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Are you using wood chunks or chips for smoke? How long did you let your lump burn to get to a consistant temp?
    Also, you don't need to have a large opening in your bottom vent or daisy wheel to maintain a 220 to 250 temp.

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • I'm using mesquite chunks that I soaked pretty well. I let the lump burn for 20 minutes or so before I put the meat on and started trying to control the temp.

Brisket went on 80 minutes ago, and I seem to be holding steady at 275.

Based on the advice, I've closed the daisy wheel a bit more and I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks!
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    On a low/slow cook, you'll be better off getting the temp (with all your gear in the Egg) stabilized before you put in the meat. Then sit back and don't worry about temp for a while - it should come back to your tarrget temp on its own. Trying to regulate right after you put in the meat will cause you to overshoot and undershoot and overshoot . . . you get the idea. Try it next time.
  • Big Easy Egg
    Just keep an eye on the temp and don't freak out, the Egg is very forgiving. There is no need to soak the chunks or chips in the Egg. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress and post pics.

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • Big Easy Egg
    I like to let my fire stabilize for about 45 minutes with the plate setter in it. Good advise Stanley.
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    I have 2 9# boston butts that are almost ready to come off the grill. I loaded up the firebox last nite, lit it, put the platesetter in, and let it stabilize for about 1/2 hour to 230*. I woke up this morning and the temp was at 210*. I opened the vents a little to get it to 240* for the balance of the cook. I did get a little concerned that I was running low on lump, so I opened and looked. It didn't seem as if I used hardly any (12 hours later) The butts are at 195* right now, and I'm going to foil & cooler them when I get home at lunch time.

Stabilize the temps with your platesetter in, as it will take a little time for it to get heatsoaked. Be prepared for the temps to fall when you put that 10# of cold meat on and recover slowly. Leave your vents alone when you put the meat on, and check back in 1/2 hour or so to see if they need a "slight" adjustment. Good Luck!
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    I have to comment that I am constantly amazed at the good advice this forum gives. Nothing completely replaces experience, but at the same time, nothing quickens that leaning curve faster than good advice. Thanks to all of you.

Don
  • Fireball II
    Fireball II Posts: 213
    Rob, One thing that happen to me on one of my first Low & Slow cooks. I only lit the lump in the middle in one spot. I got a vertical burn and the fire went out after a few hours. Just an FYI. JD
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Fireball

I went thru the same experience with a Butt cook about 6 months ago. My thoughts are that I had too many large pieces around the bottom of the grate and where I had done the initial lighting. Since then, I have been a little bit more deligent when loading the firebox for an extended cook. Large pieces still on the bottom, but now I make sure they are surrounded by smaller pieces to continue the cook.

Practice, practice, practice....
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Good call, Don. I agree. I started asking questions about 1-1/2 years ago. These guys and gals are great. They've made me a much better cook. Not just on the egg, but cooking in general. Sure makes it more fun when you always know you can ask some dumb question, and get lots of good answers, alternatives and opinions from some great folks.