Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jack Daniel's Oak Barrel Chips

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought some the other day and wondered how many here cook with them them. Are they best used only with beef or they go well with pork or chicken too? Thanks!!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I bought a bag the other day myself. I am normally a "cut your own pecan and hickory" type of guy, but so many people post good results with the JD barrel chips I decided to give them a rip. The Kroger was rather proud of them too.

So far I have use them on a flat iron, chicken parts, and some filets and scallops. I am not noticing anything "different" or better with them yet, but maybe I am doing it wrong.

Once thing I notice is that they tend to smoke longer than other chips - maybe due to their moisture content.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I think the smell from them burning is superior to most other woods.

But as far as taste on food.........eeeehhhhhhhhhh.....I'm not sure I notice but I still use different woods for different things :woohoo:
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Use them on everything but fish.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    i use mine when i am smoking chili for crushed pepper flakes.
    as much as it may seem crazy i resoak them in a little old #7 and it really brings them back to life. the smell will premeate the entire neighborhood.
    DSC_5631.jpg
    here they are just about done and ready for the dehydrator overnight.
    DSC_5636.jpg
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    I probably won't buy them again. They do smell good when they're smoking, but like Fidel, I can't tell any difference in taste on pork or beef. On fish they put a slight liquorish-like taste on the meat (Orange Roughy). Not bad, but not real good either. I'm stickin' with apple and hickory. Haven't tried pecan yet.

Note...the neighbors, especially the bourbon drinkers, think it's really cool when you let them smell the bag of chips. I'll keep them around for show off purposes.
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    I have just finished using a good-sized bag of them and was not impressed. They smell ok in the bag, a little better while smoking, but the taste that they add to the meat just isn't very noticeable or good. I ended up mixing the remainder with some other wood chips to help them out.

My favorites so far are Mesquite, Apple, and Hickory.

And if you really like JD, why not splash some in your marinade or sauce?