Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Tub???

Options
Okeejohn
Okeejohn Posts: 297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Never heard of this. What is the benefit of this?

Okeejohn

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Okeejohn,

If you will do a search on hottub you can catch up on the posts and methods.

The idea is to get the meat to 100° or so then take it out of the water (hot tub) and sear or cook it.

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    gives a greater cross section of your desired internal temp, too, which is why i do it. very little "well done" perimeter and maximum medium rare.

it's a bastardized method from something Cook's Illustrated wrote up. they took a cheaper cut and hot-tubbed it for other reasons. it speeds up the action of enzymes for one thing. these are the enzymes already present in the meat which tenderize and flavor the meat when dry aging. their assertion is that some esters are produced which add flavor, and that a cheaper cut can be tenderized somewhat.

i'll trust them on that, but i just find it gives me more medium rare than many other methods, and is easier than most too.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    I agree with all you say but note that my spouse prefers the reverse TREX to hot tubbing. I started tubbing when she repeatedly pulled out Costco ribeyes from the freezer late in the day and it helped move things along. The actual cook, then, only takes a couple minutes. She says it makes the beef too tough - well, maybe she should stop buying tough beef, but that's a different issue. The simple fact is that tubbing works and doesn't require the attention to the actual temps on the grill until the actual sear. Any variation is likely due to the quality of the meat rather than the method.
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up. Now time to try it!!

Okeejohn
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Okeejohn,

Hopefully Ross in Ventura will jump in. He is the hot tub master. The idea comes from the French technique called sous vide. It means under vacuum. The idea is that a vacuum sealed food can be immersed in hot liquid and either slow cooked or brought to a temperature which is either cooked or close to it with minimal loss of moisture. When it is finished by a conventional method or egged, as Stike said, there is a minimal area of the food that is cooked beyond the desired temp.
    Holy cr@p, did I just come up with that?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    DSCN2798.jpg
    3 Rib Eyes seasoned.
    DSCN2801.jpg
    In ZIP Locks
    DSCN2803.jpg
    In my Spa @ 101* for 1-hr.
    DSCN2805.jpg
    On the grill for 90-sec per side,
    DSCN2812.jpg
    Then let them rest for 15-min. you are good to go, Medium Rare.
    Ross