Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Thermapen

EggHeadFredEggHeadFred Posts: 121
edited 12:17AM in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks,
going to break down and buy a Thermapen. Where is the best place to buy one? Thanks
Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.

Comments

• lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    mollyshark somestimes buys in bulk and passes on the discount . otherwise thermoworks.com
    bill
  • WanabeWanabe Posts: 355
    I was thinking of ordering a Thermapen but needed a digital for a cook the other night. I bought a Taylor Digital Model 9847N at local ACE hardware. $14 and it read the temp in seconds! Reads up to 450F or 230C

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(k0ldkc45dbgmorr3wgtahr55)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=6108419
  • EggHeadFredEggHeadFred Posts: 121
    Thanks, I will check it out.
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Those models seem to read in about 7-10 seconds vs 3-4 with the Thermapen. My buddy here at work actually melted the case of one of these slower models a bit trying to take a temp over a hot fire. But other than that, they seem to work pretty well, just slower than Thermapens.

Another option is to call Thermoworks and see if they have any refurbished Thermapens in stock. They are significantly less expensive if they have one.

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
    Good advice, Thanks Whiz
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
    Just ordered a refurbished one $62.50 6 mo. warrenty, not a bad deal. Thanks Fred
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • East Cobb EggyEast Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    You can get refurbished ones from Thermoworks at a discount.

That is how I got mine.

Greg
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,393
    EggheadFred,
    I purchased 5 or 6 directly from Thermaworks.com and received a bulk discount. I've given the others away as gifts to family and friends. I can't cook without it.
  • Thanks to The Naked Whiz advice, I just received my refurbished Thermapen on Monday. When I ordered it last Wednesday they had a couple more refurbished ones.

Jeff
  • BoneDaddy'sBoneDaddy's Posts: 256
    So let's say you have a large roast or something on the egg. You put the pen in 4 inches, what is it taking the temp of, the tip or an average across the length of the pen insterted into the meat. In other words, what part of the meat is it reading?
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering