Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat-a-thon!

Options
70chevelle
70chevelle Posts: 280
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of my local grocery stores sometimes has meat specials, so I stop occasionally to see what they have. The week before father's day they had whole beef tenderloins on sale for 7.99/#. I only picked up a small for the family, DOH! Anyway, I stopped in on Saturday as my parents were coming out for dinner. Low and behold, they had the tenderloins on sale again. I bought the biggest one they had. Then I went to the pork aisle and bought a 9# loin on sale. Now, what to have for dinner? Along with above sales, they had sirloin tip roasts on sale for 2.79/#, so I bought an 8 pounder for Saturday's dinner, without a clue how to cook it. Got home and tried to google some recipes with no luck. Oh well, just do what you do! I cut it in half & froze the other half. Then I coated the roast with soy sauce and then sprinkled KC steak rub all over and let it come to room temp while I got the egg going. I decided to Trex it. I got the egg up to 625* direct and seared the entire roast. Pulled it off and foiled while I got the egg back to 400*. I put my platesetter back in after the grill cooled and threw the roast back on with my probe thermo. I pulled it off when it got to 135* and sliced it up. It was moist, tender and delicious! The only thing I would change was that I cut the whole roast up like prime rib, 1/2"-3/4" slices. I'll only cut enough for dinner that way and shave the rest for sandwiches. So, I have 7 packages of filets about 2" thick, 4 pork loin roasts, and a 4# sirloin tip roast, all vacuum packed in the freezer. That should last for a few weeks!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    sounds like you have better options than i do i wish i had a store that does stuff like that around here... congrats :P

if you are wondering how to cook the pork loin the triple threat is very good:::

Pork, Loin, Stuffed, Triple Threat, Big'un

Bacon wrapped pork loin stuffed with apple sausage

Ingredients
    1 pork loin
    1 lb bacon for every half loin(typically)
    cooking twine (no not wine, although...)
    1 lb roll of Jimmy Dean Sausage
    3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    1/4 cup white wine (I like chablis)
    1 small onion
    1 large apple cored and diced
    2 Tbs favorite rub + extra for seasoning

Preparation
    1 Take out loin and typically they are already cut into two pieces. Each piece is considered by me to be one loin. Cut away any fat or silver skin. The toughest part of this cook is the prep. I use a tool I made to cut a hole in the loin for stuffing. You can achieve the same effect could by merely slicing 2/3rds into the loin to allow for the sausage stuffing.
    2 After prepping the loin return it to the refrigerator.
    3 Mix the last six ingredients (and any extras) in a bowl. Stuff the loin w/sausage and return to refrigerator.
    4 Get out the bacon and separate it. You'll see later that this expedites the wrapping process.
    5 Cut the twine in large enough pieces to tie the loin. Lay them out on your prep board, spacing them about two inches apart.
    6 Sprinkle the rub on the outside of loin and lay it on the front third of the twine.
    7 Start to wrap the bacon lengthwise, slightly overlapping each piece of bacon. After you have wrapped all you can, use the twine to help rotate the loin leaving the bacon intact. Cover the rest of the loin with bacon, and tie snuggly.
    Cooking
    1 Cook at 325° F dome, indirect, platesetter legs up, drip pan underneath grate.
    2 Remove the roast at 140° F internal. Tent with foil and let rest.
    3 Enjoy! Juicy and a great presentation .
    NOTE:
    1 You can add anything else you like to the sausage mix. Kalamada olives,crushed red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, diced mushrooms, spices, etc are all good. Anything that adds moisture or flavor will work, make it your own!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Big'un (Todd Hippo)

Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '07, Big'un

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb