Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Way To Light Charcoal?

Options
The Other White Meat
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was curious what everyone's favorite way to light the charcoal is? I use to use the fire sticks and since have started using the electric starter, but I have gone through two of them in a year. Just wondering if that is what most people use or is there another method that is preferred? Thanks.

Jeff

Comments

• SoonerChris
    SoonerChris Posts: 302
    Options
    MAPP gas...when it works.
  • EGGLANDS BEST
    Options
    I use a MAPP torch and haven't had to change the cyclinder out yet and it's been about 4 months and it's still going i would suggest you get a MAPP torch that's just my 0.02
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    011.jpg

Just kidding :lol: I normally use this ;)

Well,I was gonna show you a small propane torch,but photobucket is giving me a hard time right now.I could show you,but,apparently I have to tell them if I like coke better than pepsi or snickers better than#$%^@&
  • EGGLANDS BEST
    Options
    Hey doug i thought about getting one of those would you reccomend it?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Im liking the papertowel twisted and some oil on it. Works great and no sparks flying around. quick light also.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    That is not even mine.My buddy Barrett brought it over to show me.I use a small propane torch and really like it.That big torch is on my wishlist,but really just to play with :woohoo:
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I think the most economical way is the propane tank. I like the idea of the oil on a napkin, would work great if camping or away from normal setup. And most people go through the electric starters frequently. I have the BGE brand electric starter that I used for about 6 months, then I retired it and have been using the propane torch/weedburner setup. I like it, usually lights my fire in 20-30 seconds and the temp is usually where I want it for normal cooks in 5 mins or so. And like I said earlier, I think the gas options are the most economical, if that concerns you.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I use a mapp torch, simple, quick and never need to look for a light. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    HAHA, they are fun to play with. I use mine to light the egg, but enjoy burning weeds, ants, yellow jackets and other random objects that seem like they might be interesting to watch burn. :laugh: I don't know if the weed burner is necessary, the golf club looks like it is a more practical option for lighting the egg. I will let you play with the torch when you come over for the gathering in August. :lol: :silly: :lol:
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Sweet,I wanna burn a yellow jacket nest :evil: That just sounds like fun to me :woohoo: ;) BTW,if your not ready in August,I have offered up my place instead :)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The weed burner is AWESOME. After you light the egg you can f--k with the dog or neighbors cat, scaring the bejeezus out of them or anything else that happens into your path.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We use the twisted paper towels and oil. We just moved our eggs off the closed in porch and out to the gazebo. it is a perfect egg hut. Now that it is not right off the kitchen I have to run a little to get to them so I don't want to make any more trips than I have too:) So I am keeping a big zip lock bag with about 20 of them all twisted and just poured a little oil over them and sealed. they are always ready and right there. I also have a zip lock bag with a few lighters and matches in it. even though it is screened in it still is damp with fog sometimes:)I light the fire with two criss crossed and by the time I have food ready to go on it is hot and clear smoke.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I will probably take you up on that, I was compiling my todo list for when my classes end in two weeks. It was looking a little overwhelming to get it all done in August. I was gonna ask you guys if you didn't mind maybe the first of September. But if you are offering, I should have most my tasks finished by September. The main things I would like to have finished are my table and the deck needs to be cleaned and stained. I just put it down like 2 months ago and it already has some blackness growing on it, probably doesn't help since we have had rain almost every day, but that is hard to complain about. Hopefully we'll get these things wrapped up and we can throw down here in Sept.
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    I like using a propane torch to light an oiled paper towel.

DSCF0538.jpg

DSCF0539.jpg

DSCF0540.jpg

Sometimes I light the charcoal with the torch, but I don't like standing there while the charcoal pops and spits at me. I usually oil a paper towel, relax, and have a beer. ( I used to make my own beer, so I know the drill)

Ed
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    This works for me.

Flame1.jpg
  • Smokin-AJ's
    Options
    i got one of those cheap weedburners off of ebay and just hook it into my propane take. Light it and hit a few places in the charcoal. Done!
  • crawdad
    crawdad Posts: 115
    Options
    Chimney starter?? Don't tell me that nobody here uses one!!
  • Smokin-AJ's
    Options
    I have about 5 of them but I can't tell you when the last time that I used any of them. The torch is faster and hotter. Gettem hot fast is my motto :laugh:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I'm with you! -RP
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I take delivery of my first egg this week so obviously I have yet to start a fire in one. Dumb question - why does no one use the fire starter that BGE sells? My dealer includes some with the purchase so I will start with them. Is it lack of speed? expense?

For those who soak a paper towel in "oil" is that just every day vegetable oil you are talking about?

Thanks in advance for any help for this virgin BGE.
  • East Bay Al
    East Bay Al Posts: 101
    Options
    Congratulations on you "first" egg. There are numerous ways to light the egg, all of them right. It will be personal preference. The starter cubes work fine. A little (1 tsp) vegetable oil on a paper towel works fine. Lots of folk use Mapp gas, so it must be fine, even though I've never tried it.
    Take this board with a grain of salt, using it as an opinion check, try the ideas that make sense to you, keep your own notes and learn as you go. You will do well.
    Al
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    This topic has been debated endlessly in the forum. So many options, most of them work fine. It all comes down to which method you like the best. I tried all of them including fire starter cubes, waxed kindling sticks, oil on napkins, butane torch, propane torch, weed burner, etc. but my favorite method is using isopropyl alcohol (sold as rubbing alcohol). I made a video with some slides and a demo to show people how it works. It is the cleanest, cheapest, most convenient, and safest method in my opinion and it brings the egg up to cooking temp in 5-10 minutes so it is pretty fast too. I get the 91% rubbing alcohol from the Walmart pharmacy section in a 32 oz. bottle for $1.99 which will light the egg about 20 times. Burns clean, hot, no residue or fumes, no toxic chemicals, no ashes or sparks. Here are the links to the video:

Part 1: 9 minutes
    Part 2: 3 minutes
  • genew
    genew Posts: 40
    Options
    alright egginator, I don't want to seem like a jealous sort but what kind of lump do you buy?? Seems like all your pieces are large. My bags have a few large and most are definitly not of the large type. I usually buy BGE lump.