Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pizzas!

Options
platypusrex
platypusrex Posts: 225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to help from this board and naked wiz, I made qty 4 12-inch pizzas today. First time, and they turned out great! I tried to locate a large pizza stone but no stores had them locally, so I used the plate setter with the feet down, then cooked them on parchment paper as I read that helps to get the crusts crispier.

Fired up the large BGE to high 300s to cook the first one, but the crust was not quite as crispy as I wanted. Cranked it up to the 470 range and the next 3 turned out perfect, crispy crust but not burned at all. I cooked each pizza for just over 8 minutes, used my old iPhone with the 2.0 software upgrade as the timer...

We got the 12 inch Mama Mary crusts at Wal Mart, $1.75 each. We made our sauce from Ragu pizza sauce and added a small can of tomato paste, a teaspoon of McCormick Italian seasoning, a half teaspoon of Spice Island Mediterranean seasoning, about 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and a bit of rosemary and some sea salt. We also added some grated parmesan to the sauce. For the cheese we used grated Sargento mozzarella and provolone cheeses.

We made 2 pepperonis (Hormel slices), one burger, and one burger-onions-mushrooms. We caramelized the onions and mushrooms on the stove first, yum yum!

2 pics below, the burger-onions-shrooms after we scarfed down some of it, and the second pepperoni. The family and son's girlfriend gave them all a thumbs-up. Next time we'll try to make our own crust in the bread maker. Nothing like getting some wins under the belt to make me want to keep trying other things - thanks to all!

burger-onion-shrooms.jpg

pepperoni.jpg
LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
Austin, TX

Comments