Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini egg

madbeach
madbeach Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just downsized from a large to a mini egg. Anybody have any tips or tricks for cooking with the mini?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Now that's a big downsize.

Use it like your egg. I haven't done anything really long time wise. I use it just like I do my large.

The mini is one great egg. When I can figure out which one, I am going to sell either the small or medium.

GG
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    The Mini is one heck of a grilling machine.

SteakChops024.jpg

It works great in the TRex method.

SteakChops013.jpg
  • just use it. to trex i take fire ring out grate on top of fire box for the sear . then put fire ring back in and damp down. i did shorts for 5.5 hours on 1 load of lump and i smoked cheese at less than 90° . i have posted my mini pics too often.... post again about specific food or technique and i will post pics if they are applicable.
    bill
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    They come up to temp fast, at least ours does. half the time of the other three. but we use it more than any if it is just the two of us. last night was turkey thighs and thick sliced potatoes with evo and dizzy pig. all at once with our raised grid we cobbed together!
  • Grandpas Grub
    I agree. Extremely fast to get to temp. It is kind of fun putting in a cup or two of lump and filling the mini up.

Cooking for the wife and I or the wife and I and 3 grandkids, the mini is great.

Not sure where the line is drawn between grillin and smokin but I do some low temp cooks on the mini just fine.

If quantity is not an issue the Mini is my favorite and my 'go to egg' every time.

GG
  • madbeach
    thanx. I was wondering about the burn because the firebox is so small compared to what I had.
  • madbeach
    raised grid? how'd you do that?
  • madbeach
    Cooking at low temps, how long can it cook because of the size of the firebox? have you ever cooked a small brisket?
  • madbeach
    How did you do your shorts?
  • Grandpas Grub
    No brisket, pork or ribs yet. So far the longest I cooked for 4 hours at 350° - 400°. Some lump left over.

Possibly some other folks have or will jump in with more information.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    I have some old porclin kiln furnature, stilts, that I use.

One could use some fire bricks or two grids with a spacer between.

One could also pick up some strap metal and bend that to raise the grid.

GG
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    madbeach wrote:
    raised grid? how'd you do that?
    I have a small soap stone that we use a lot for indirect. and a heavy wire plant stand base that has a round top and a curved middle and a round base. and a wire cake cooling grid that is only 8 inches across that sits on top. I need to get a picture of it. works pretty slick on all the eggs.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i made a plate setter of soapstone. easy to work with, nasty dust, wear a mask.

mini009.jpg

little spacers to leave room for a foil drip pan

mini010.jpg

filled the mini 1/2 way up fire ring, lit the egg put teh meat on as soon as the smoke cleared. soap stone absorbs more heat than just about any other substance so i did not worry about stable temps. it stayed below 200 for a LONG time. left ribs on 4.5 hours they were still a bit tough will leave on longer or foil next time. i still had lump left and the heat stored in the soap stone would maintain temp for a long time after.
    below is a pie plate and a grid from the rice cooker that i use for indirect . fyi those are huge breasts "perdue oven stuffer roaster breasts'

smokedcheeseandchicken002.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken011.jpg