Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Firebox

Options
Mitch's Oh Yeah!
Mitch's Oh Yeah! Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read what great customer service one can expect from the BGE company and I recently found out first hand.

Last week while cleaning up my 1 month old XL BGE, I notice a very large crack all the way down the firebox.

I called my dealer and he gave me a direct number to the local distributor. I spoke with the distributor and explained the egg was less than a month old. They immediately placed a factory sealed firebox in will call and I picked it up the next day.

Great customer service!

Mitch's Oh Yeah!

Comments

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Is that great service or what?
    You might consider continuing to use the cracked one, if there's only 1 or 2 cracks in it. It'll probably last quite a while, since whatever pressures caused it to crack in the first place are now gone. Save the new one in case the cracked one gets worse. Mine has been cracked in two places for over a year, not getting worse, and haven't even ordered a new one yet. Just doesn't seem to matter.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Mine did the same thing -- developed one crack which opened up... Then, months later, a second crack developed. About a week and a half ago, lots of cracks appeared, and then the entire firebox just collapsed into pieces.

I placed some [baking] parchment paper on a piece of plywood, and reassembled the firebox upside down using JB Weld. 24 hours later, I used it -- have completed three cooks with dome temps up to 600F.

So far, so good.

The dealer I got the Egg from tells me it will take at least six weeks to replace the fire box. I was a tad disappointed he didn't order the replacement when I told him six months ago that it was beginning to disintegrate. He's a "hardware store," and just sells Eggs on the side. Nice guy, but doesn't seemed too plugged in.

If the repaired firebox lasts the six+ weeks until the replacement arrives, I'll keep using it as long as possible, and stash the new one.

After this experience, I'd suggest you repair the damaged firebox and use it as long as possible.

BTW -- your fire ring will be next.

~ B

:)B):)
  • Mitch's Oh Yeah!
    Options
    Thank you for the info Broc and FlaMike.

I was told that you can continue to use the egg with a cracked firebox and fire ring. But, my XL was brand new and I wanted a new firebox, especially if the old one cracks into pieces.

The problems I've had have been worth it considering the great food and fun I've had with the Egg!

Mitch
  • Broc
    Options
    Yep --

You can use the firebox and fire ring so long as they hold together while cooking. They'll often continue to disintegrate until they will no longer piece together. I got more than 6 months out of my cracked firebox until it just fell -- like Humpty Dumpty.

But -- having done more than one 3-D puzzle in my lifetime, and with the help of JB Weld -- I was able to resurrect the old bowl... at least temporarily! Hope to get another 6 months out of it!

~ B
    B)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    crackedfb.jpg

My firebox cracked/broke after a few months of use about 6.5 years ago and I'm still using it. The replacement still sits in my garage. FWIW....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mitch's Oh Yeah!
    Options
    Naked Whiz, did you use JB Weld on your firebox?
  • Broc
    Options
    I suppose I should wait for him to answer your question -- but maybe he won't get back -- so I'll make a lame [and possibly incorrect] attempt.

If my rememberin' cap is rememberin' correctly, NW simply pieces his together -- and it hold shape, without JB Weld.

Mine, on the other hand, wouldn't hold together worth snot! I had to glue it or throw it.

My fire ring -- been broken for a year or longer -- I just prop the pieces in place and fire up... no glue...

~ B
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Keep some JB weld on hand. Even though I haven't experienced any cracks on 9 month old egg, as of yet, you never know when a serious crack could happen, and you may have cooking plans for the egg. It always helps to be prepared, just in case.