Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Picnics seem to cook quick

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a note. I know the standard time estimate for pork butts is 1/5 - 2 hrs/lb. However, picnics seem to be quicker.

The last 3 pork picnics I have cooked have all finished in slightly less than 1 hr/pound. They have all been skin off, altho I leave on as much of the fat as I can. The dome temperature has always been 250 for most of the cook, altho 2 out of 3 have had a brief period closer to 300. 2 were on raised grid with just a drip pan for indirect, 1 was done with the place setter inverted, etc. They all became soft enough that getting them out of the Egg without collapse was difficult. On one, the bark was not quite as thick, but I suspect that may have been from using a bit less rub than usual.

So, if you want to save some time, or not do an all-nighter, experiment with a picnic.

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I do picnics all the time and sometimes they can cook quick, but I would caution anyone to not use the 1.5 - 2 hrs/lb or you may end up with 40 hungry folks sitting around awaiting the cook to finish. Not trying to step on anyone's toes, but they don't always cook quick at 250F. I cook mine at 275F using a stoker.