Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Babybacks

Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just done three slabs of babybacks this weekend.I read the Carwash Mike method before starting and got all the helpful tips I needed. Thanks Mike! Cooked at 230 to 245 degrees for three hours misting every hour with 50 50 apple vinegar and apple juice. Went on thru the 4th hour letting the egg creep up in temp a little, never got over 250. At the 4 1/2 hour mark I mopped with Famous Daves sauce and shut the egg down completely. All vents closed. They set for another hour. The ribs were falling off the bone great. By far the best ribs Ive ever done. The wife is still talking about em.
Heres the question. How do I get a more smoked hickory taste in them. I ate some other ribs today that were cooked on a pit with nothing but hickory for fuel. They had a great hickory taste but were not falling off the bone. I want to be able to get that hickory taste off mine. I used probably 5 chunks of hickory scattered throughout the lump and put a couple right over the fire. I know most people say let the wood smoke for 30 minutes before adding meat but I feel like this is the time to have the ribs on. By the time I had mine stabilized for 30 minutes the smoke had stopped. I think the next time Im gonna throw my chunks on and go right on with the meat. Anybody got any suggestions?
Like I said, best ribs Ive ever done but I want a lot of smoke taste.

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    I use hickory in Mine and use a Large handful of hickory chunks. I don't soak em. I just add them to the lump and get everything on as fast as I can. I usually use an indirect set up with the dome temp at 250. and I have enough chunks added that the smoke lasts for about an hour (sometimes I have to add more chunks but I try to avoid opening the egg unecessarily). One thing I do is make sure that the Eggs dark smoke is clear and the fire is clean before I add the chunks.... I want to make sure that the smoke is coming from the hickory and not from the lump that isn't at the right temp.

Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I like to refigerate my ribs before I put them on the egg. Most of the smoke will permiate the ribs at the cooler temps. So, the colder the ribs are when you put them on, the more smoke flavor you'll get! You will still pick up some smoke at higher temps as they cook, but nowhere as much as the cooler temps. I believe below 110F, the meat's pores(?)remain open. HTH.