Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping a butt warm for 9 hours

Options
Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had an 8-lb butt that was done cooking at 7:30 this morning. It needed to make it to Maine for an early dinner. After getting several suggestions, I filled a cooler with hot water and let it stand for a few minutes. I dumped it out and put 4 oven-heated, foil-wrapped bricks on a towel on the bottom of the cooler. Another towel went in next. The foil-wrapped butt went in next with its thermometer probe still in place. Then I jammed about 3 more towels in the cooler and closed it. I taped the thermometer remote to the top of the cooler. (My wife hoped we didn't get pulled over because a cooler with a thermometer remote taped to the top and, inside, a wire coming out of a hot, foil wrapped object...well, not everyone would assume this was something to eat.)

At 7:30am, the butt was at 200. By the time we were ready to serve, 4:30pm, it was still at 156. That's 9 hours! It was a big hit. Thanks for the suggestions.

Paul

Comments