Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Why I drilled my dome

UnConundrumUnConundrum Posts: 536
edited 1:42PM in EggHead Forum
Last weekend Mike in Abita was kind enough to do some test drilling in his broken dome. His thread is HERE

Seemed like some controversy why anyone would want to void their warranty, so I figured I'd post some pictures of what I did...

I have my egg built into a Bally Block worktable, inside an abandoned smokehouse. I brought the dome sensor up the back of the dome to the new hole; a 1/8 inch was sufficient.

P1020478.JPG

That keeps the dome cable out of the way.
I then sealed the factory thermometer hole in the front. (Sorry for how dirty the egg is....)

P1020479.JPG

I attached the pit probe to the side wall. As you can see, it's very unlikely it will touch food or get in the way due to the size.

P1020480.JPG

Here's the inside of the dome. Can you see the probe? It barely sticks through the dome.

P1020481.JPG

Here's a closer one from the side where you can see it. Once again, very unlikely it will ever touch something I'm cooking:

P1020482.JPG

Here's a picture of the improved work area. Stoker to the rear, pit cable coming out of the table, and the one cable draped across the table is the sensor for the food. Everything else is tucked away.

P1020483.JPG

And, just to christen it, Did a TRex tonight. Use the stoker fan to go nuclear ;) All sensors worked well, and survived the temps.

P1020475.JPG

THANKS again Mike !

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I guess I missed the other posts with the discussion....If you just wanted the thermometer hole in the back, why didn't you just rotate the dome 180° and use the factory hole?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • UnConundrumUnConundrum Posts: 536
    Hmmm, guess I didn't know the holes would line up... :blush:
  • TNmikeTNmike Posts: 643
    Looks like the pit probe is several inches from the grate? I'm still trying to work on 'grate/pit vs dome, looks like this would be something inbetween. I'm sure you've got it figured out or you wouldn't have done it, sure would keep me confused adding a third temp point.
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,675
    LMAO I saw the other posts and never thought of it either. :whistle: Guess the simple solutions are always right under your nose. That is funny.
  • Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Glad to help.
  • Michael BMichael B Posts: 986
    Neat setup.
    If you use that pit probe for L&S, be sure to set the platesetter so that one of the legs protect it from direct heat.
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    Question.. On the cat5/6 cable that you run to your stoker to computer, for feedback to your graph, is that a crossover cable or a straight connection cable? Thanks.
  • UnConundrumUnConundrum Posts: 536
    Well, I'm going from the stoker to a hub, but there is no need for a crossover cable. Standard ethernet cable will do.
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know!