Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Night butt cook...had to start with ABT's

Hitch
Hitch Posts: 402
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Threw on my first 7 lb. bone in butt last night around 11:00, but didn't want to wait till then to do some eggin. Had a little lump left in the box, so threw together some ABT's before dinner. Pics below...

Set alarm for 4:00 and butt was at 158, and dome and grid were registering 240. Opened the daisy a smidge and went back to bed till 7:00. Butt was at 169, and dome at 265. Cranked it up just a bit to finish her off. Haven't opened the egg since last night, and gettin stir crazy. Had to go to work, so wife will be manning the ship. SCARY! Don't worry, she knows a bit about what she is doing, and I am calling every 15 minutes.

Question... I know the whole wrap in foil/towel/cooler procedure, but what is the best way to pull the pork?

Probably no wrong way, but love the advice I get on here.

Also, if it is done at 11:00 this morning, could I pick up some hamburger buns and take my employees over for a late lunch, or is it too soon?

First shot at ABT's below. Came out so good....

ABTS1.jpg

They lasted about 10 seconds....

ABTS.jpg

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Gotta love those ABT's...........
    I have had to cut back to once a week though, annual Dr.visit coming up.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Great idea! I'm managing my work from the home office today, so I think that I'll go ahead and wrap up a few ABTs for a nice cook today. Are those little smokies in the cast iron pan? I'm thinking that I'll do a few sausages to go along with the ABTs.

Sadly, can't open the "lemonade" until after 5PM, after which I can officially tell the people calling that it's happy hour ;)

Don't worry about the butt...it'll be just fine! Maybe just cut down on your calls to every 20 minutes instead :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I pull mine wearing rubber gloves. I pull out as much of the loose fat and nasty stuff as I can, then pull them meat by hand.

If I get any sections of unusually hard bark I will mince those pretty finely with a knife and toss that in with the pulled meat.

I also have bear claws which work well, but I like the texture and content of the finished product pulling by hand.
  • Hitch
    Oh yeah...hard to beat little smokies. That little cast iron pan is perfect for just throwin somethin on for little ole me while I cook stuff. I can fit it pretty much anywhere no matter what I am cooking. Lil' smokies tend to rear their head quite often.

Thanks!

Hitch
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    My wife walked into the kitchen last week while I was assembling ABT's. She said "Albatross Turds Again"?

I laughed for half an hour, but I guess it works as good as Atomic Buffalo.
  • Hitch
    OK...wife called. Butt is 195 and Dome is 250. Pull it now, or wait till 200? It will be going in the cooler until about 6:00 tonight. It is 12:30 here on the East Coast.

Thoughts?

Also, we are having baked beans, watermelon, and buns. Suggestions on how to offer the pork?
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    OH just remember your wife has your butt in her hands, be carful what you say.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I like pulling by hand too, picking out any remaining fat, sinew, ect. I won some bear paws in Oklahoma but probably will never use them. -RP