Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon tex method

Options
Marvelous
Marvelous Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Havin 6 guest oner of great restaurant friend is getting me a case of prime precut Filet Mignon 10 oz centercut. I would like to use Tex method being 10 oz do I still use the 2 minute sear at 600 each side then cool down to 450 and 2 minutes per side. being smaller than the steaks(porterhouse) that I usually get will I over cook them with timming. I would appreciate any suggestions I probably get more steaks on the grid. I will use dizzypig raising the steaks please advise

Comments

• Cheyco
    Cheyco Posts: 29
    Options
    You should be ok with about a 90-second sear and then cook the steaks at 400 until they reach your desired done-ness temperature. If you go by interior temp, you'll never overcook them.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You really need an instant read thermometer to measure the internal temperature of the meat in order to ensure the degree of "done-ness". The searing time should be based upon how much searing you want. Once you decide that, the roasting time will be however long it takes to get the meat to the correct temperature.

If you want to do Trex, you should have the Egg as hot as you can get it for the sear. As long as you do the searing right away, and don't leave the cooker at the high temperature very long, you will have no problem getting the cooker back down to 400 degrees during the 20 minute resting period.

FWIW, I cooked two choice Angus tenderloins last weekend for me and the wife (yes, the wife who....) using Trex and I think they possibly were the best two steaks we have ever had, period. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I never use a thermometer and instead push on the meat to check its doneness.

http://lifehacker.com/software/grilling/determine-the-doneness-of-a-steak-267250.php
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    Try a reverse sear, bring steaks up to within a few degrees below done at 350 then bring egg up to 600 while you rest the steaks then sear. This method is more efficient. Its easier to heat up the egg than it is to cool it down.
    FireWalker