Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin - Pulled Pork?

Options
tkthesailor
tkthesailor Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

My egg is being delivered tomorrow. The local grocery had an excellent sale on pork loin, so I now have a ten pound boneless pork loin. I was hoping to make pulled pork, but realize you most often use a Pork Butt to do that. Has anyone ever used a large loin to make pulled pork? If so, could you please share the recipe? Any other ideas (other than those posted to recipe part of the site) for cooking this monster?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Loin is to low in fat for low and slow cooking. I would split it, stuff pork sausage inside and wrap with bacon out side and cook at 400 until 135 internal temp. But hey, that's just me!
  • Gandy Dancer
    Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
    Options
    HERE is one that will work for you.

Leo
    Williston, FL
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I would cut that sucker in 1/3rds and try different things.
    Jerk Loin.
    jampkrst1.jpg
    If you have a few days. Canadian Bacon. You'll need this for pizzas later. :woohoo:

cb3.jpg
    Or just cut a pocket add Apricot Preserves and cashews.
    Then bacon wrap.
    ribsandloin.jpg

I cook all mine about 250 indirect with apple or cherry wood. Just pull at 145.

Mike
  • tkthesailor
    Options
    Thanks - any other ideas are appreciated. I like the idea of cutting it into thirds and trying different recipes.

I guess I will have to wait to buy a butt to make pulled pork.

Any preferred woods for pork loin and how many wood chunks would you suggest (I am cooking on lump charcoal. Any suggestions on temperatures and times are appreciated as well.

I order a plate setter - suggestions on whether (and how) to use it in the recipe also appreciated.

Thanks again.

Tom