Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Church potluck butt

Options
Jeffersonian
Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Best butts yet (aside from Jessica Alba's that is ;) )

These were my first overnight cook. Dusted with John Henry Pecan rub and put on the Egg at 8:30 last night. Had to get up around 3:30 to give the fire a little goose (it had dropped to 210 or so), but otherwise had no issues at all.

Pulled at 205*, about 13 hours total, wrapped in foil and towels for 4 hours and served. The folks at church went gaga over the pulled pork.

DSC01122.jpg

This was the first time I've wrapped my butts after pulling them. It's something I'll do from now on...these pulled so easily.

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Great job Brad, I'm bettin now the church goers will save you a seat in the back! :woohoo: It looks delish!
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    Great looking butts. Love the JH Pecan rub on almost anything. I will remember the foil and towels on my next butt cook. If it makes the end result easier I'm all for it.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Even worse, they elected me to the Vestry today...essentially our parish's governing board. Now I'm really hosed!

These were really good...they didn't even want to come off the grill in one piece.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    It was the first time I foiled and rested; I'm usually hurrying to get dinner on the table. I'll make sure I build a few extra hours in from now on. I don't know what's in JH's Pecan rub, but it's very good on butts and somehow keeps them from blackening while still giving a delicious bark.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Brad,

That's some good news to hear from you that everything turned out well for the cook, and that everyone who ate the fruits of your labor liked it. Really makes it worth all the hard work.

Thanks!