Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg won't go out

Options
LongRifle45
LongRifle45 Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for 3 weeks. It won't go out when I am done cooking. I shut the lid and all then vents 3 hours ago, and it is still at 250 degrees with red coals.

When it was delivered, the dealer dropped it and knocked the lid loose from the band. The first night it wouldn't go below 400 degrees. I saw I had a 1/8 inch gap in the lid, and loosened the band to drop the lid down.

Is it possible the gasket got damaged the first night? I also noticed that my cast iron vent does not seal well on the top of the egg. It kind of woobles side to side.

I have already gone through a 20 lbs bag of carcoal becasue this thing just keeps smoldering all night.

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'd say you still have a dome alignment problem...without air, the Egg should go out fairly quickly, though it might stay warm for some time.

Get a slip of paper and close the dome on it in several points around the rim. It should be fairly tight all around. If it's not, you have a gap that is allowing air in.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Brad is exactly right. Use a dollar bill to check the seal or when the fire goes out put a light inside and see if you have any light escaping from around the rim. The top should have a little back and forth slop(movement). HTH.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Once your lid is set properly --

Use the ceramic top -- not the daisy wheel -- when you want to extinguish the coals. Some people put some aluminum foil across the top vent, then put the ceramic top on.

Does your bottom draft door close tight?

My gasket have been burned out for over a year, and I can still extinguish the coals easily. Being able to shut down the egg is critical to low-'n-slo burns -- otherwise you won't be able to maintain specific temps.

Have your dealer help you tune up the Egg... Once everything is set properly, you ma not have to mess with such issues again.

~ B

:)
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Mine goes out fairly promptly (based on the remaining unburned lump) with the closed daisy wheel.