Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trash talk

Options
Spoofer
Spoofer Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just left BBQGUYS.COM. Opening video is a comparison, of sorts, of the grills they sell. Long story short...they pretty much trashed the BGE. Only sells because they are so good at marketing. Losers!

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Dont know about you but i"m too old for negative crap. Hope they like thier cooker as much as I like mine. Ain't got time to trash anything so I'll just sing the praises for what I have. I'm happy so In my mind thats all that matters.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I agree 110% with Pat ;) :woohoo:
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    :laugh: Funny thing they used to Tout the BGE if you can find the old video on the shcpperschoice.com website. NO JOKE!
    ~ Pharmeggist
    P.S. My guess is they wanna do business via internet and BGE policy doesn't work for them now SO we see what has happened.
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    It's funny how the term "marketing" is used when referring to the egg. Unless something has changed in the past year, no one working for BGE officially has a job title with "marketing" , or even a dept specifically anchored for marketing. Official marketing are owners of the egg who spread word like wildfire. And it works. So it is actually "marketing" is why BGE sells more grills.
    I am an owner of eggs and other ceramic competitors. I can tell you they bbq the same(and others who own competitors will same the same thing). Think of it like , for example, MDonalds- they only hold most of the fast food market simply because of marketing-TV, radio, advertising of all sorts- not the actually crappy burgers!- anyone can actually say a Big Mac is anything close to size and quality to a Whopper???No way in hell.
    But BGE, unlike McDonalds, is a quality product, so no one is geting ripped off when they buy one.
    But I will never trash any brand of grill, so what they're doing on that site is wrong.
    ST
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Pharmeggist wrote:
    P.S. My guess is they wanna do business via internet and BGE policy doesn't work for them now SO we see what has happened.

That was my thought exactly!
  • Spoofer
    Spoofer Posts: 31
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly. I just can believe this guy. He's a dealer and it's his best seller. Talk about biting the hand that feeds ya.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    'marketing"? i have never seen any BGE marketing other than ads every now and then in national magazines. the BGE sells through word of mouth.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    There are local ads in the Atlanta Journal Constitution daily.

That being said, I agree with you in that the BGE is not a marketing miracle like Bose....the product really is good.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    I found the video curious in that it exclaimed virtues in one that are found on others but weren't mentioned. The Dragon Fire was praised for its dual-adjustment top but the same feature on the Egg was ignored. They specifically said the Egg was a thinner ceramic when, in fact, its thicker than one other, the same as one, and thinner only than the Dragon Fire.

They are obviously pushing the Dragon Fire and the Primo and, as you suggest, not the Egg. I doubt that the reason is specifically the anti-Internet sale policy of BGE but, more likely, profitability.

Their comparison chart shows that the Egg has a better warranty but doesn't mention the Internet-sale issue. In fact, no mention of warranty is on their website except that chart.

Don't think I'd want to do business with them.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Well, there's a site I now know to avoid. Anyone who says the BGE is only revered by its owners because of marketing has serious cranial-rectal inversion. I couldn't trust what they said after that.
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    exactly- word of mouth like I mentioned previously. I Im also certain GE will want to keep it that way- just like, for example, the best law firms where it is considered against proper etiquette to advertise.
    GO JETS!
    ST
  • CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    Options
    You tell someone here in Sacramento that you have a Big Green Egg and they have no clue what you are talking about. Definitely no advertising on the West Coast that I have seen and it is all by word of mouth. I have been a long time offset smoker and found out about the egg from a fishing friend from my internet fishing club. I found a used medium and it has been all egg ever since. I am clearing out all my other bbq devices because of my collection of 4 eggs. Who needs anything more for home & outtings??? I may get a large pellet smoker for catering only because of the volume or will BGE come out with the XXXXL sometime soon! 120 pound platesetter and 20 racks of ribs on the bottom rack! LOL
  • Unknown
    Options
    Very true Todd. They also said that it had been cooked on once and was already corroding. Whatever!

And... I have have cooked on many a "virgin" egg at numerous eggfests for both short and long cooks and they are NEVER that blackened on the inner dome lid.

Those guys must be upset with bge something fierce.

Ken W.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    BGE may have that policy, but they don't enforce it.
    Talk to egret.

Mike
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i honestly think BGE actively chooses to not market hard. really seems they are determined to grow
    v e r y s l o w l y
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well I always wondered what had become of Ernest T. Bass but now I see he goes by the name "L'il cookin' buddy" and sells BBQ supplies.

Interesting that they spoke so positively about all their cookers except for the BGE.

When looking at their selection online, they do not offer BGE.

Also, the BGE was the only cooker they showed that had been used.

Pretty much everything he said about the BGE was just plain wrong. Add that to the fact that on the same website where they disparage it, they don't offer it for sale makes me question whether or not they actually sell these things.