Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fathers Day Green Egg Purchase

Rookie
Rookie Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all.

I am purchasing a green egg for the first time this Fathers Day. It can be pretty overwhelming. Can anyone give me some advise as to which accessories and such I should include in my initial purchase?

I know this is a very simple request, but it appears I have come to the right place.

Thanks.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Platesetter, pizza stone, mapp torch would be my recommendations.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
    Platesetter, nest or table, ash tool, lump, 16" tongs, thermapen. You will probably add to this over time as we all have. Talk to your dealer, you may be able to negotiate a package deal. Welcome to the club. For more info on how to get started watch the DVD and read everything here:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Hope this helps

TC
  • Congratulations on the upcoming acquisition!
    You will be getting a TON of recommendations for "must haves"- don't get overwhelmed and buy too much in your excitement. Everyones needs are different.

I don't know what they will include in the sale, so I'd recommend an ash tool. (sometimes they include it, I had to buy mine).

The following are recommendations (not in order), but chose what you think would be useful to you.

Thermapen instant read thermometer - This is expensive but I use it on every single cook and it makes a big difference.

Remote thermometer - used for long cooks and roasting things at 400 or less. You can start with a cheapo one for $10 - $15 and if you so desire, move up to the Maverick ET-73 which is I think about $35.

Grid Lifter - I just use a pair of pliers which I can also use to lift a hot pan or wok off the grill.

Tongs - for handling the food on the grill.

Raised grid - This is used for chicken parts, spatchcock chicken, cooking meats with a drip pan below or double-decker cooking. I built my own with an 18" weber replacement grille and 3 carriage bolts.

Plate setter - great for indirect cooks. Before I had this I used my raised grid with a pan full of juice and that worked fine. I couldn't do pizza and I didn't try breads or pies before I got one.

Welders gloves - good for removing a hot platesetter (make sure you have someplace to put it after you take it out!), searing steaks over a hot fire or just for protecting yourself from shooting flames when opening the dome (see TNW flashback http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm)

grill wok or veggie grid - a perforated cooking pan with lots of holes like a collander or a perforated cooking sheet with lots of holes. I have both. The latter comes in rectangular and round shapes and I think the round shape makes more sense on the Egg.
    Good for cooking scallops, shrimp, misc veggies that could easily fall between the bars on the grate.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Congrats on your decision. I got my first one on Father's Day 6 years ago.

I would say the only must-have items with the egg are the plate setter and pizza stone. Then use it a few months and other accessories you will see and learn about here will make sense to you.

If you don't have one, get a good meat thermometer like the thermapen from Thermoworks.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    when i bought my egg, at a fest, i watched a competition egger, he said buy a thermopen... i did.you should too.
    you can cook great stuff with out all the eggcessories. i made do with things i had for 2 years. [have all the toys now though]
    if you are feeling overwhelmed ....
    thermopen, tourch for starting, gloves..and 1/2 steam tray pans from costco and a cheapy chicken rack or vertical roaster.
    my first cook

chicken.jpg
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I use a couple of plastic putty knives to clean the ash out of my egg even though I have an ash tool. Just remove the inards and clean up the bottom. I forgot the egg nest and side shelves.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Before you invest in a torch, check this out. It's one of the easiest, fastest & least expensive ways to light your BGE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZUrtaEb-U&catid=1
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    I always tend to shy away from things that say don't use more than 60 CC or you can blow yourself up. LOL

Seriously that seems like a long way to go from using a simple starter cube or the electric lighter. I have yet to blow myself up using a starter cube and I have lit thousands of EGG fires.
  • Rookie
    Rookie Posts: 2
    Large or Xlarge? I will primarily be cooking for family of 4 w/ the occasional 6-8 adults. I assume Large is what I want but I don't want to limit myself.

Opinions?
  • givehim6
    givehim6 Posts: 22
    My experience is limited so take this for what it's worth, I think you should be fine with the large.

I've only had mine (also a large) for two weeks but have cooked for 12+ adults and kids thus far with no problems. I bought the extension rack the other day - prior to that I simply used an extra rack off an old smoker propped up on broken pieces of brick.

Free advice and worth every penny.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I would get the large. With accessaries you can cook for 40 on 1 Egg. Save the money for additional eggs that might be in your future. I have 2 larges now and soon to add a small.
  • Rascal
    Good for you!!
  • Rascal
    Large is the way to go!!
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Go with the Large. XL will be too much for what your using it for. AND....(best part) you can buy another Large or a smaller one in the future.

Options are limitless,
    Egg-N-Tino