Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed from

Options
Buckdodger
Buckdodger Posts: 957
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
the Eggsperts on a cleaning burn. At what temp and for how long to rid the inside of my LBGE of residue from regular cooks. Only done a couple of high temp cooks. Saw some posts of real flame outs today...don't want to fry my felt. Thanks
Bob
Alex City, Al
:unsure:

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Burn it at 550-600* for about an hour, then shut it down. Don't open it - let it cool. When I do one I put all my grids and stuff in it, including the daisy top.

Then take a crumbled ball of aluminum foil and rub it around the interior to slough off all the charred gunk.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    if you let it burn at around 550 - 600 degrees till there is no smoke, you won't burn the gaskets. . ..it can go like that for a good hour or more. ... you can even leave the plate setter in there to clean as well. .. just like a self cleaning oven in the house ... .if you let it go at 700 + you are likely to burn the gaskets. ...
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Thanks Rod and Mad Max...appreciate the quick comeback. Did the forum search on this topic and there was 14k records. Tried not to fall asleep waiting for them to load. Thanks again.
    Bob
    :)

Opelika, Alabama
  • jamiemeyer
    jamiemeyer Posts: 97
    Options
    I wish I had seen Fidel's post a week ago.
    I have an XL, and just trashed the paltesetter by not protecting it. It managed to absorb every kind of grease I sent it, like a sponge.
    I did a high-temp cook last week, and the missus said "it smells like everything else you cook". Just one problem - I was doing tandoori chicken at high heat, not a low and slow. I knew I was in trouble.
    After examining the platesetter, it was clear that I had abused it. So, off I went on a cleansing mission.
    I setup the egg with a small amount of lump, and went wide-open. 650* on the XL, which is a new region for me. The paltesetter was inverted (feet down), so that could expose the sins on my performance to the fire.
    I let this burn for three+ hours, until is burned out. I was shocked at the results. Not only did I clean the platesetter (looks like new), but the fire rings are like-new as well.
    I may not have considered this if the gasket had not fried during the tandoori cook, but I now have a replacement there as well.
    Good luck!