Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking to buy first Green Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New to this, how durable are Green Eggs? Is cracks from use a problem? If so are they just in firebox? Any crazing on the exterior from use? Thanks for any input!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    there are some reports of crazing but they are more rare than you may think. i have not had any crazing on either of my eggs....

cracks from use are extremely rare.. cracks from abuse are common.. if you take care of it it will take care of you... what part of s.c. are you in??? there is a eggfest across the border in evans ga this weekend you could have more questions answered there... in fact stop by i will be cooking ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I have some grazing on my oldest eggs. No flaking. No problem.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The only advice I have is to not wait another day. I put it off for years and now wish I hadn't.

Ron
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    What is crazing?
  • BENTE
    Options

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    the beginning and thought nothing of it. I guess I was right. Didn't know there was a term for it.
  • CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    Options
    I have a medium that is ten years old that has a crack in the firebox and does not effect the performance at all.
    I have a 2 year old large that has crazing but that is superficial only and has no effect on the performance but awaiting a new gasket.
    I also have a one year old that has no issues.
    My 10 year old shines as good as new when wiped down with a damp cloth to knock the dust off.
    Get a platesetter when you purchase you new egg and remember to low temp cook for several first burns to break in the gasket.
    Don't be afraid to try new things like making a pizza.
    The world is almost in your grasp, now get out there and get that egg!
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The only time to be worried is if you drop it. Cracking other than that is unusual. I've had my large for 3 years and no problems with crazing or cracking.

You will be very pleased with the durability of the egg.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for the responseTB I am in Columbia, wish I could make it I will be in NC thia weekend with family1
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    I've had mine since February and there is some crazing. You need to get pretty darn close to even notice it. Crazing or not you do not care when friends tell you it is the best steak, corn, ribs, pulled pork etc. they have ever had. Mine could be pink and I wouldn't care one bit.
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:
    The only advice I have is to not wait another day. I put it off for years and now wish I hadn't.

Ron

I did as well. I was very interested in the BGE in the early 90's but put it off thinking it cost too much. BIG MISTAKE!! Depending on how much and for how many people you intend to grill for start with either the large or the small. If you are like most people here, you will get both.

Wayne
  • BENTE
    Options
    oh well i hope you go ahead and buy the egg it really is the best purchase i have ever made....

BTW i am in leesville every tuesday... don't make it to columbia but you can never tell...

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb