Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something's not right here

Options
J Mac
J Mac Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK. Two butts on since last night, I swear they were within a Lb. of each other (but the kitchen scale won't go that high). they've been on about 10 hrs. A Polder in each, one reads 165 the other 195... Do I dare lift the lid to check the probes?? I hate to do it.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    sure, open the dome and reset the probes, maybe one is is sitting in a fat pocket or a against the bone or something. ...test em in a couple of spots with a thermapen ..... .
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Options
    Dare...check it with a thermapen or oven thermo. Each piece of meat is different; once a piece comes out of the plateau, it doesn't take long to get to pulling temp.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I would guess the higher temp one has the probe to close to the bone. Try re-inserting it away from the bone into the meat mass.
  • J Mac
    J Mac Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for the advce fellas. I opened her up, repositioned the probes and used my Thermapen forgood measure (just got it yesterday...good timing). and now I've got 188 and 192 respectively. Still seems like a fast cook but these were deboned when I bought them from Costco.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    To add to your answer, maybe the lump is buring off center or one butt sits differently over the indirect piece or one is front grid and the other back grid. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.