Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Lump Charcoal

edited 6:44AM in EggHead Forum
Has anyone had any experience useing different types of lump charcoal as good or better then BGE lump

Comments

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    I use Ozark Oak all the time and love it. My nearby dealer carries it and doesn't knock my head off to buy it.

The nakedwhiz.com site is the quintessential authority on all things lump!

Good Luck!
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,675
    Try this site. Not only good for lump it's full of great info.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,675
    Dang it!!! Guess I'm the slowest typer out here :angry: :laugh:
  • KokemanKokeman Posts: 819
    the closest store to me that sells BGE charcoal is 28 miles from my house. So I use Cowboy brand lump from Lowesor Home Depot. It works pretty good but it seems to burn up faster than BGE. As far as taste I can't tell the differance.
    Koke
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Cowboy does seem to burn faster see the reviews on The Naked Whiz, links above.

Walmart has RO, USA which is the same as BGE.

GG
  • JudgeJudge Posts: 35
    In the short time I have been using my egg I have found one thing for sure. I keep, and use 2 types of lump. One for hot and fast (cowboy) and two, maple leaf (slow and low). My biggest problem here in Canada is the way those bags get tossed around. So much waste.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Not sure if it is Canada, I get the same down here. Very seldom do I get many large pieces and a good amount of the pieces are small enough to clog the grate holes.

GG
  • BamaFanBamaFan Posts: 658
    I've used Royal Oak, BGE, Nature Glo and Wicked Good. I would rate them in this order.
    WG
    RO
    NG
    BGE
  • SuperDaveSuperDave Posts: 319
    I agree, with the exception of swapping nature glo with B&B from south Texas. It's pretty good stuff, but for my money I'm using Royal Oak from Wal Mart for 5.27/10 lb. bag.

Cheers!