Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt Tonight

J Mac
J Mac Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my Lg BGE about 6 weeks, getting ready fire up a couple of pork butts from Costco. I've only done this a few times on a different grill but the shoulders came deboned (the last few I bought at the local grocer didnt). Is that typical and if so, how do you eggsperts handle the meat, ie. keep it together. I trussed them up a bit to make the mass more uniform for cooking. Does that make sense?

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Welcome to the forum and cult! :evil:

I've never done a boneless, but the idea of trussing to gain some uniformity makes sense. I do the same thing when I have cooked whole tenderloins. My guess is that the boneless will cook more quickly thatn an equialent bone-in.

You're sure to get some experienced insights.

JMac wrote:
    I've had my Lg BGE about 6 weeks, getting ready fire up a couple of pork butts from Costco. I've only done this a few times on a different grill but the shoulders came deboned (the last few I bought at the local grocer didnt). Is that typical and if so, how do you eggsperts handle the meat, ie. keep it together. I trussed them up a bit to make the mass more uniform for cooking. Does that make sense?
  • J Mac
    J Mac Posts: 14
    Thanks Austin. I put them on at around 10:30 last night. Got the temp to settle around 240. My "type A personality", as Elder Ward would probably call me, had me checking temp until around 12:30 but it stayed solid. Just checked them again at 5:30AM and they're sitting at 250 dome temp. One is at 180 already and the other at 165 so I think you're right about the speed thing. But it smells great out there.