Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting more grill space

Louisiana Redneck
Louisiana Redneck Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good afternoon all Eggers,

I know someone out there has an answer for me. I just bought an adjustable rig and I was wondering, will this rig fit on top of the legs of the plate setter for indirect cooking? I just received it and will not be able to use it til this weekend. If this will not work, is the only way to indirect cook is to put a pizza stone or drip pan on the spider. If you have used one please let me know how it worked for you.

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Just wondering why you'd want/need to use a PlateSetter..if you have Tom's "Adjustable Rig"?

Did you get the Spyder with your order?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Good question. I have had nothing but excellant cooks using the plate setter. I don't know how good a deflector the pizza stone or the drip pan will be. The ceramic plate setter is thick and has never failed me yet. If I don't have to change, I don't want too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    the pizza stone will work fine for low and slows, the only time the platesetter is a needed item is when cooking high temp pizzas and breads where you need a greater heat barrier.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Don't get me wrong! There's nothing wrong with a PlateSetter!
    I use one occassionally myself, and in it's always worked well.
    The BGE Pizza Stones are also the best out there IMO!

Well, for that matter...they're, (PlateSetters/Pizza Stones) both ceramic heat deflectors...that's all!

They will/do both accomplish the same end when used as a device to sheild your product from the fire's direct heat.

I'd contact Tom (TVJ)directly...as it's a longer discussion than need be done here...but I will say this..

The "PlateSetter"...(origionally used in the Ceramics/Kiln industry)performes two basic functions in an
    Egg...heat deflection, and a static place/height at which to rest the cooking grate.

Once you seperate these two functions from each other....you expand your possibilities
    immmensly when configuring your Egg for cooking direct,or indirect...for that matter!!

HTH.

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Fishlessman, thanks for your comments. Do you have any pics using an adjustable rig.
  • Chubby,

Thanks, I will start using it without the setter and substituting the pizza stone.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    The rig and platesetter can't be used together. For a good indication of horizontal coverage with various ceramic pieces, the picture has a 12 inch BGE stone on top, the platesetter (ex the legs) in the middle and a BGE 14 inch stone (new) on the bottom.

100_0126.jpg

Call me lazy, lazy, but here is my typical set up for a single grid low and slow.....pan on level 1.5, pan sets 1.5-inches above the fire ring and 4.5 inches below the grid. Plug in the guru and that is it.

rigpan15.jpg

Some folks prefer to use ceramic mass and have separation between the ceramic and drip pan, so they'll do this set-up.

rigstonepan.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    What you need is ANOTHER EGG!

Smokey
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    this is a pizza stone on the spider and two racks high of ribs, notice how you can use up that space lower in the egg without a platesetter. the way i see it, a pan is all you need for inderect setups up to about 250 degrees, go a little higher and the stone works better with the higher heats right thru the roasting stage. increasing it to 500 and now a pizza stone and a platesetter is needed, the second pic is my high heat (900 to 1100 degree) setup. tank head filled with sand with the pizza stone nestled on top, i put this on the spider. as the heat goes up its my opinion that more mass in the barrier is needed. i use the spider upsidedown by the way, my pizza stone is too large to drop it down that far
    DSC_0062.jpg

100_1527.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I've been told that you can cook a pizza directly on the plate setter - stone not needed. Any thoughts?