Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Kitchen Aid

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Kohl's is have a sale , don't they always?, and am looking at KA 450 watt and 325 watt units. Will want to do some sausage and bread. Realize the toys are extra. Any comments are appreciated. TIA

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    we have the 575w 6qt i went with the bigger one because i have a few friends that have the smaller ones. one of them i talked extensivly with him about gthe motor. he told me to go with the bigger one. he said "if there is alot in there the motor does not bog down but it does seem to be a little underpowered"

so thats why we did what we did.. ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    yea, id go with the more powerful one too. my wife has the 325 watt one and it does get bogged down doing fairly regular things

what sucks though is that the 325 watt through Kohls comes with a rebate for a free grinder.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Richard,

In a post a while back AZRP advised to get a separage meat grinder.

I would get the larger motor expecially if you are goning to use it for grinding meat and such.

The larger KA's come on Amazon once in a while at really great prices.

Kohl's seems to mark the items up so they can advertize great discounts. The end price seems to end up being little or no discount when all is said an done.

GG
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    I could not agree more.
    Spend the extra money and get the biggest motor that you can afford.
    If you have an outlet mall near you, try the kitchen stores in there. I picked up a refurbed Pro 6qt model for a great price. I have the Meat Grinder Attachement it works fine for grinding 10 pounds of meat. For me this is enough.
    One other point, I would stay away from the tilt top models. In the past, I have had problems with tilt style stand mixers keeping the drive train engaged. Either the gear or the clasp holding the two peices together will break under load.

Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Go with the larger motor, 6qt. Both the wifey hers about 6-7 years ago and still going strong, whips through anything.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Doing bread or pizza dough the smaller ones wont handle the load if you are doing three to four cups or more of flour.Had mine ten years plus and I would have been a unhappy egger if I just wanted to save the fifty bucks and run with the smaller units.